a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

"New-To-Me" CP 25

Started by Gafftop, September 14, 2006, 12:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gafftop

Hello all. I am the new owner of "Heaven Sent" which is a 25 down in Houston, Texas.  Not many CPs down this way but everyone here loves them.  I will post pictures of her once I finish a few more cleanups.

I am fairly new to sailing but not new to boating, and I have a question for you.  On my mast is the track where my main rides up and down.  Near the bottom is where the tabs are inserted.  I am missing the piece that keep the tabs from coming out once they have been inserted.  I don't know if it is a little piece, or a piece that covers the entire hole.  Basically, I don't know what this thing should look like, which makes it a little bit more difficult to find.
Can anyone tell me what it is called?  I am assuming a store like West Marine can order this piece, but I thought I would extend my lack of knowledge to the forum so I could learn a little along the way.

For those who are interested in knowing more...
about the boat... the previous owner passed away and I picked her up in an auction.  It was one of those things where I saw the boat (and I had been looking for 3 years for one) and I fell in love with the design and manufacturing.  We did a quick inspection and made my bid.  A couple hours later I was the happy new owner.
I spent the next two weeks going through the entire inventory and talking with Com-Pac and ordering the owners manual.  The outboard that was installed worked just great and I was able to move her without any problems to my marina of choice.  Next month her coat will be back to normal (if my arm doesn't fall off first) and she will be pulled out for a new bottom job.  And of course, I will post pictures of her at that point.

My only advice to anyone out there wanting to purchase a boat this way would be to make sure you have the expectation that paperwork is quite cumbersome.  In Texas (probably like many states) you have to have a ton of legal paperwork in this type of situation to transfer the title.  If you can find a good deal like I did it is worth it.  But make sure you are patient with the process.

K3v1n

Welcome Gafftop,
Best of luck with your new CP!
Sounds like you need a 'Sail Stop'

Check the link below.
Not sure if these sizes will work or not, perhaps someone else has a better lead on where to purchase them.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/72099/0/0/sail%20stop/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

-Kevin
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

PWSII

Hey now... another CP25 in Houston... from what I can tell, only about 50 of these have been made so quite a coincidence.  We just picked ours up a few months ago from a brokerage on Clear Lake.  In our marina is a CP23 and CP33.  I see the makings for a Com-pac rally out at RedFish Island in the not-to-distant future.

Drop me a line if you'd like to meet at my boat to size up the 'sail stop' and compare punch lists.

Pete 

mike gartland

I likewise am in the process of adding to the Houston Com-Pac fleet...just trailed a CP-23 down from Georgia and am in the process of cleaning and re-fitting her in Kemah.  I'm interested in knowing where other CPs are located here in the Clear Lake area.  Would look forward to getting the group together once I get in the water.  Also looking for marina suggestions for a boat this size.
Mike23

PWSII

Check out Legend Point (near Watergate) on the the south shore of Clear Lake across from West Marine... be sure to emphasize that you have a shallow draft which should translate into special pricing assuming slips are available. 

mike gartland

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check it out.

Mike
Mike23