Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another question - new to me CP-19

Started by fawsr, February 14, 2012, 10:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fawsr

following up on the previous post ...

The trailer has 20.5 x 8 10 ply tires on it. They went humpity hump for the first few miles but by the first hour was trailing smoothly. The rims though look terrible. One side was low so I aired it up with sealant and saw the stuff come out around the valve stem! I'm thinking of having the rims sand blasted and powder coated and buying new tires. Anybody have better luck with taller tires? I'm hoping to haul it to the gulf maybe April or May and then maybe to Clearwater in July? Whada ya think?

NateD

I'm into repair and reuse as much as the next guy, but it will probably be far cheaper to buy new wheels (~$15 white painted, or ~$20 for galvanized) than it will be to sand blast/powder coat unless you are doing the blasting/coating with your own equipment.

Bob23

Nate's right. Pry that wallet open and get new rims and tires. Especially if you're going to be doing some long distance towing. And get a spare. If the rims are old, chances are the tires might be too.
Bob23

fawsr

Question was aimed more at taller tires offering any advantage over the current ones. Bsaically what size tires are ya'll running?

Salty19

It's a tradeoff.

Small tires get a little warmer at highway speeds, have a rougher ride and depending on your ramp angle, might make it easier to launch the boat.  They also lower the center of gravity while trailering making the overall rig a little safer. Larger tires ride smoother, run cooler (assuming correct inflation) but raise the COG and could make it tougher to launch as the boat is higher off the ground.  The temperature different isn't a big issue, they are designed to carry the load at a given temp despite the design differences.

With that said I had the same tires on our 19 trailer and swapped them to 12" radial Load E's with new rims and spare. I forget the width, but they are narrower. Our ramp is steep so the boat floats off easily either way but less bouncing and crashing over bumps and potholes while trailering is nice. 

Sounds like you got kinda lucky coming home if the valve stems were leaking.  Must have good Karma :)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

NateD

I ran 12" tires on my CP16 trailer, which were overkill, and 13" tires on my CP23 trailer.

The smaller the tire, the more revolutions, the more heat is generated in both the tire and the bearing. But the taller the tire the more windage on the road and the harder it is to launch. While the 13" wheels and bearings on my CP23 trailer are only slightly warmer than ambient air after hundreds of miles at 60 mph, they do make it harder to launch when I get there. Com-Pac had 10" tires on the CP23 pilothouse trailer at Strictly Sail Chicago show and that looked much lower to the ground and easier to launch than with the 13".

If the tires and bearings are in good health (and the tire rating exceeds the (weight of boat+trailer+gear)/2), then I think you'll be fine with 10" or 12". If the ramps you use are plenty deep, then I would probably buy whichever tire/wheel combo was easiest to find. Also, check your fender clearance, that might decide for you.