a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

shroud tension on Sun Cat

Started by bfelton, January 17, 2012, 06:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfelton

When sailing a Sun Cat, how loose should the leeward shroud be?  Mine wobble around.

Thanks in advance,

Bert Felton

capt_nemo

Bert,

It shouldn't "wobble" around. Since I bought my new Sun Cat about two years ago I've tightened the shrouds a little a couple of times. The rig can stretch a bit over time.

In most cases the forestay quick release lever is too loose - that is, rather easy to lock down and secure with pin. Assuming the mast is basically straight athwartships and fore and aft when raised and locked in the up position, most of the "wobble" can be eliminated by tightening up both of the shroud turnbuckles EQUALLY until it is somewhat difficult to push the quick release lever down to the lock (tight) position. I've tightened my shrouds to the point that it is a slight strain to lock the forestay lever down, and when released CAREFULLY it snaps up to the unlocked (loose) position.

Tightened as above, your leeward shroud should not "wobble" in light to moderate wind conditions. In heavy wind it may loosen ever so slightly due to a certain amount of "give" in the standing rigging when hard pressed, bit not "wobble" noticeably.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo