News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Barber Hauler as Alternative to Genoa Tracks?

Started by Pacman, January 04, 2012, 06:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacman

The main reason for having genoa tracks is to be able to change the angle of pull on jib sheets to control sail shape.

I have been considering installing a barber hauler ( a pully on an adjustable line) to serve the same function.

Have any of our experienced C 16 sailors use barber haulers to control sail shape rather than moving jib sheet cars?

I like the idea because it is much cheaper and, at least in theory, it could provide more precise control over jib sheet angles.

Any advice based in experience would be appreciated.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

CaptRon28

Gernerally speaking, a Barber Hauler is used to move the genoa sheet inboard or outboard, to improve performance while close hauled vs reaching. It can widen or narrow the slot but won't really change the sail's shape. A fore/aft genoa track is used to control the attack angle of the sheet to vary the tension between the leech and foot and can change the sail's shape. I see no reason why this logic would be different for the 16.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Pacman

I agree that the traditional application is to move the clew inward on the horizontal plane to narrow the slot. 

I was considering using the same principle to move the clew up and down on the vertical plane to change the jib sheet angle to change sail shape.

However, I looked at the prices of the hardware that I would need and have decided to go back to the original idea of installing some genoa track on the gunwales.

It has gotten cold here so I have been spending too much time indoors the last few days. The temp dropped from the mid 80s down to the low 60s.

Now that it is warming up again I will be able to get out and on the water to do some more testing on my rotating mast.

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile