Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Winter overhaul - measurement help needed

Started by JTMeissner, December 12, 2011, 11:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTMeissner

CP-16 owners,

Does anyone have ready access to their boat on a trailer that can provide a few measurements?  Specifically, what is the height off the ground to the top of the bow pulpit and/or top of the tabernacle?  (I expect variation due to trailers and tire differences, trying to see if a preparatory trip will be in order to remove such things.  I also have some ability to lower the trailer hitch ball and still push with my truck, so I may be able to get away with a few inches here and there.)

I'm thinking of bringing down the boat to do needed renovations, but I'm worried my garage is not up to the task...  I can get the space inside (it's a tight fit at 20x20), but the door height at 7 feet might be most restrictive.  I'm trying to see if I will need to remove the bow pulpit and tabernacle in order for it to fit through the door while on the trailer.  I'm trying to also gauge if an inclined driveway will help or hinder this process.

I will then drop it on the hard (well, wheeled planking under the keel) and see about spending my free time during the winter in the garage learning the finer arts of fiberglass repair, gel-cote repair, 5200 vs 4200, etc...  I'm thinking that getting it in the garage will be the hardest step (the boss's permission has already been granted), most everything else is here on the site.

-Justin

JParody

[/img]

Hi Justin,
  Our garage has 6'8" openings.  Earlier in the year I had "Puff" inside to work on her.  Once in, I had plenty of room to sit in the cockpit and do what I needed to.
Hopefully the picture I think I am posting will indeed post.  As she sits on the trailer now, the top of the mast step is at 6'.  The top of the bow pulpit is just shy of  6'8".
Note the boat is angled up a bit though.  I had no trailer jack on the trailer before.  Mine is easy to remove at this point.  Perhaps yours is?  I hope this is helpful.

I would like to ask you where you purchased your new sails?  They look nice.

Have a great day!

Jill

JTMeissner

Thanks, Jill.  

I have a CP-16 MK-I, without a bowsprit, so I think I may be a little shorter.  Also, now that I look at my photo from Rhode Island, it appears that I should be able to squeeze in since I think the garage door was of similar height.  As I thought about it, I am likely to remove both the pulpit and tabernacle for the work to be done, it just changes the order in which things get worked on.

Unfortunately, the trailer/boat combination is about 20.5 feet, so unless I poke a hole in the garage wall I have to take the boat off the trailer.  The trailer jack replaced what was there from the PO, replacing a platform leg with a wheel, but it allows me to roll around a bit and it can also be lowered beyond level.  I am now pondering the best method to remove boat from trailer in the space limitations I face...

The new sails are from Super Sailmakers (http://www.supersailmakers.com/Com-Pac-Sails-C7.aspx or http://www.facebook.com/supersailmakers).  You'd have to call regarding numbers and colors as the website isn't fully set up for customization.  The logo was also an additional cost.  It took about a month or so to get the sails (ordered a jib and mainsail), during which I was moving, so it seemed quick enough.  Bob Meagher was quick with email response and invoicing, and they were very clear to note the difference in the different styles of CP-16s, even wondering the year of the boat since the number was so low.  

My father-in-law inquired if the new sails would make the boat faster.  I suppose they do, but that's not really why we love this boat is it?  The best part is that without the sag from the old sails I have much more headroom in the cockpit.  Here's a good shot of the new main:

-Justin

JBC

Justin, my ComPac 16 III (with bow sprit) sits in my garage, so I went out and measured.  The top of my bow pulpit is 78".  I have a tongue jack (highly recommended!) on my trailer, so I can easily lower the bow more than the current height if necessary.  Also, I have 21' to work with for garage length, so I angle the boat in its space a bit (two carr garage makes this easier), and it fits comfortably...I even leave the mast resting on the bow pulpit and crutch with this arrangement. 

Jett

JParody

Good morning!

Thank you for the information!  Have a great day and a Happy Holiday!

sailen69

Justin,
I don't know what kind of trailer you have.  On some with a tilt option, the whole tongue may be removed pretty easily by removing a bolt or two.  This may get you some more clearance to close the door.  Be sure to brace and block the trailer well so it won't tip or roll.  Good luck with those projects.
Rich

JTMeissner

Rich,

Wow, great idea.  Never would have occurred to me. 

I have a MagicTilt that looks very similar, so it's probably a viable option.  An inexpensive/temporary trailer leg could perhaps be installed on that cross beam (if rectangular and not L-shaped or C-channel) or other frontal location to make a nice stable platform.  I have two jack stands under the trailer keeping weight off the tires while in the boat shed, so I should be able to what you have in the picture pretty easily.  Minor issue would be the wiring harness...  good enough reason to chase the gremlins in that system.

-Justin