a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compression Post-advice please

Started by R2, December 02, 2011, 08:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R2

R2, just purchased a 1978 Com-Pac. The old concrete was taken out, new wood,post etc. I noticed that the new compression post does not go all the way to the top of the underside of the deck, there is a 1/4 inch or so of space. Do I put a shim under the deck, and can I drill the tabernacle bracket to the compression post, or do I leave it like it is. Ideas please, thank you! Rich/Ruth

RCAN

I'm not an expert, but I do own a 1976 Com Pac. It is my understanding that the mast will exert much pressure downward as well as sideways when you are under sail. My boat does not have any space above the compression post. It is wedged in there right up against the underside of the decking.

From other discussions in this site I have learned that the tabernacles were originally screwed into the deck without nuts on the under side so that, in case of a demasting, minimal damage will be done to the deck and repairs will involve only filling the holes and screwing the screws back in place.

I'm sure others will give you their input as well. Hope my input helps.

Robert

deisher6

Hey R2:
On an '89, the compression post goes all the way to the underside of the deck, but it does not go all the way to the bottom of the boat.  It is secured on the bottom on the bulkhead at the end of the bunks.  I would shim the top.  I was dismasted the first time out this summer and repairing the mast step was pretty simple because the mast step bracket was not thru bolted.  I would recommend leaving it  the way it was designed.

Enjoy your Com-Pac.

regards charlie

skip1930

Is this a CP-19? Just guessing.

The compression post goes hard against the inside of the overhead and the post is screwed with lag bolts into the plywood bulkhead 'tween the two quarter births and the vee birth. The bottom of the post never touches anything 'cept air. And by doing that one length of compression post always fits vertically. Not all the deck dog~houses to hull joints come out the same height, so the post is the variable.

I've had mine in and out several times of the years. Used the same hardware and holes.

skip.

Salty19

R2 Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like either the previous owner did not install the post in the correct orientation.  OR the bulkhead which the post bolts to has sagged or moved.  Yep, it should be tight against the roof.
Since it's going to be tough to drill new attachment holes with strength 1/4" away from the existing holes (bottom of the post), I would imagine the easiest and best way to handle it is to remove the post and glue a 1/4" shim the top, then reinstall.  That is assuming the bulkhead is tightly positioned.  If it's not, then you'll need to redo the bulkhead.  This is needed for strength.

As mentioned by RCAN, just wood screw the tabernacle down.  Real good idea to overdrill the holes, fill with epoxy then drill out again. And use some DAP232 sealant (DO NOT USE SILICONE BASED SEALANT!!!) or similar around the holes to seal water out.  This way the wooden core under the tabernacle will remain dry.

Sounds like a quick fix if the bulkhead is sturdy.  Have fun with the new boat!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

R2

Thank you all, its great to have the resources of this website and experience sailors to boot. R2

RCAN

I had occasion to speak to Matt at Hutchins and, in passing, inquired about the screws used to hold down the tabernacle. He told me they used one inch #10 wood screws with finishing washers.

Hope that helps you a little further with your project.

Robert

skip1930

That would be a #10 lag bolt. Ace hardware stuff.

skip.