a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boat and Hardware Modification

Started by Gerardo, December 25, 2011, 08:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerardo

No one sits down and tries to figure out how to build a boat that is all-around "better." He tries to figure, instead, how to fit an existing boat so that she will do better the work for which she is required.  THE CATBOAT by Howard L Chapelle from THE CATBOAT BOOK
I have recently purchased a new Picnic Cat and find myself in a difficult situation.
My wife age 72 is physically fit but is showing symptoms of dementia and she is afraid of sailing. I do sail alone and with my son at times.
My wife is O.K. with motor boating.
Can the BoomTendrâ„¢ Quick-Rig system be situated 2 feet higher on the mast so that there is more head room in the cockpit when launching and getting quickly under way, like a small motor sailor with the mast down on the gallows? 
Thank-you for your consideration,
Gerardo (Retired)

Tim Gardner

Gerardo,

Welcome to the forum!  In response to your question, I know of no better source for you answer than to direct you to The Sailboat Company in Richlands, NC.  They do many custom u grades to the entire Com-Pac line.

Here's a link:http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/

I will ask your question of them.

Regards, TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

skip1930

Gerardo, Merry Christmas to you and your wife.
Maybe we can modify your Picnic Cat for the comfort of your wife have the BoomTendrâ„¢ Quick-Rig system be situated 2 feet higher on the mast.
I really like this boat. It has a certain WOW! Factor.

Here is why I feel this is possible.
When Com-Pac developed the 'bendy' mast somebody on staff needed to decide just where to cut, and how long that cut was going to be for the lower portion of the mast.
So remove and replace all the pieces screwed or riveted into the lower section. And connect up the top section. Are you thinking the same thing?

Com-Pac gave the length to Dweyer who makes the saw cuts for aluminium extrusions used for the masts and booms and gaff.

I'm guessing that a longer, lower portion of the mast can be purchased, cut and installed. But the problem would just be starting with this longer, higher cut.

I thinking the boom would be too high and thus raise the moment of effort imposed by a sail full of wind thus destabilizing the hull in the water. That would be scary.

I'm thinking the standing rigging would need to be relocated. I'm thinking that the halyards, for the sail, and the gaff to control the peak would all need to be refitted.

I guess an appeal to Com-Pac would be in order.

skip.

Tim Gardner

This is the answer from  The Sailboat Company:

26Dec11 Message: I have recently purchased a new Picnic Cat and find myself in a difficult situation. My wife age 72 is physically fit but is showing symptoms of dementia and she is afraid of sailing. I do sail alone and with my son at times. My wife is O.K. with motor boating. Can the BoomTendr?"? Quick-Rig system be situated 2 feet higher on the mast so that there is more head room in the cockpit when launching and getting quickly under way, like a small motor sailor with the mast down on the gallows? Thank-you for your consideration.

Answer: I think I would make it 18 inches taller and add another higher hinge to the mast. Have the sail reduced at the foot by the above amount and raise the mast gallows with our handy splice system. I think adding a hinge will be cheaper than changing the mast stub. Either solution will work. Leave the original hinge in the closed position during mast raising and lowering.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.