News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Is a 25 inch shaft on outboard too much for Sun Cat?

Started by gato chateau, March 26, 2011, 10:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

Shawn,

I ADDED about 8'' of 1 1/2" PVC pipe to the motor tiller of my 4 HP Yamaha to make it easier to reach while steering. Does it interfere with the Boom Gallows Posts, yes, but MOST OF THE TIME, NO, because steering motions are slight for course changes and the post is not in the way. When a bold course change to PORT is required I lift it to clear the post and push to starboard. I consider this a small price to pay for the more comfortable reach with the PVC pipe extension during MOST OF THE TIME motoring. After a while, steering with the extension becomes second nature. By the way, I also added about a 2' long 1/2" PVC pipe extension to the gear shift lever on the starboard side of the engine. A simple inexpensive modification but very effective indeed!

NSDave

Quote from: gato chateau on March 26, 2011, 10:47:54 AM
I'm planning on picking up the Tohatsu 6 HP Sailpro with alternator with the 25 inch long shaft for sailboats.  I called Com Pac to see if that length shaft would be too much and drag on a port tack.  They weren't sure if 25 would drag in water in the up position on the port tack. 

Are there any Sun Cat owners out there with this set-up and if so can you advise on whether I'd be better going shorter (20 inch--not 15 inch) and paying extra for the alternator which isn't included on this model?  As there are 3 length shafts (15/20/25) for this engine I want to get the right one. 

Hi I have the Tohatsu 6hp 25' shaft on my suncat and I couldn't be happier. It clears the water on all points of sail.

NSDave

QuoteHi, I have the same engine on my Suncat and couldn't be happier. Clears the water on all points of sail when it's up.
Quote from: gato chateau on March 26, 2011, 10:47:54 AM
I'm planning on picking up the Tohatsu 6 HP Sailpro with alternator with the 25 inch long shaft for sailboats.  I called Com Pac to see if that length shaft would be too much and drag on a port tack.  They weren't sure if 25 would drag in water in the up position on the port tack. 

Are there any Sun Cat owners out there with this set-up and if so can you advise on whether I'd be better going shorter (20 inch--not 15 inch) and paying extra for the alternator which isn't included on this model?  As there are 3 length shafts (15/20/25) for this engine I want to get the right one. 

Thanks!

rdcvsmith

Can't speak regarding the Suncats, saw that I commented in this thread earlier in the year so thought I'd give quick update . I did go with the new Sailpro. It worked flawlessly all season, always started first or second pull, really like the front mounted shifters. Even on my CP19 that 25" shaft does drag in the water ever so slightly when it is up, doesn't bother me, I guess it's a trade off having not to lower the engine to far to use, keeps throttle and shifter in easy to use positions! Weight is just at the limit, wish it was 10 lbs lighter, will probably go with a beefier motor mount sometime in the future, something with a stronger spring assist as I get "older", for now all is good with the product.

Norm

I use an 8 hp Tohatsu  with charger on my CP 23.  The charger works great.