a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

PC signal handed sailing and trailring.

Started by Gerardo, December 06, 2011, 06:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerardo

Because of my situation at home, I will be launching, retrieving and sailing my PC signal handed. I am interested in some advice about the subject of signal handling.

capt_nemo

Gerardo,

With practice the routine of launching and retrieving will soon become quite easy.

With regard to single handed sailing, which is what I do most of the time, again practice will make perfect. Also, make sure the standing and running rigging are correct with halyards and sheets routed for ease of reach and handling.

I'm 67 and have no trouble launching, retrieving, and sailing my Sun Cat single handed.

capt_nemo

Joseph

Gerardo,

I can vouch for captn_nemo's sound advice as I am his same age and also launch, retrieve and sail my SunCat single-handed.

There are several sailing books with good advice for single-handed sailers but IMHO the best by far is Tristan Jones' "One Hand for Yourself One for the Ship: The Essentials of Single-Handed Sailing". Tristan was a great sailor and Welsh storyteller. Not everything he wrote can be considered historic truth, but as far as giving advice to the single-handed sailor he really knew the stuff first (and single...) hand.

Sailing single-handed is difficult at first, as we are too much used to depend on others, but once you get the jest of it, it can be a unique experience, full of opportunities for finding your true self - which is why it can also be so scary... :)

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

ddg23

I trailer sail a suncat usually alone with little trouble rigging and sailing.  I am 63 years old.  I launch at a site with a very nice dock extending in the lake.  I do not know how to launch by myself without a dock.  Anyone have a procedure. Thanks

Joseph

Launching alone in the absence of a dock (i.e., from a beach?) can be tricky. There are two main problems: one is the slope into the water: assuming a smooth sea bottom, if the slope is too steep you may not wish to put your trailer there, and if not steep enough your vehicle may be swamped before the boat is afloat. The other problem is that after the launch you will need to secure the boat before retrieving the trailer.  Assuming no incoming waves and no wind (or light wind from ashore) you may be able to beach the boat (the PC's is advertised as "beachable" but I do not know if it has enough hull protection for this to be done repeatedly) and/or secure it to land using a tree a rock or even an anchor. A mooring placed at wading depth may be an alternative.  If you have a dinghy (or are a good swimmer), get on the boat from the trailer while it stays in the water, take the boat to an appropriate depth where it could be securely anchored (i.e., with enough scope), then use the dinghy to get back to shore to take care of the trailer and to return to the boat. Having said all this, I've seen fishermen and motor boaters pushing their boats away and letting them adrift while they retrieve the trailer and then hitch a ride to their boats with the next guy at the ramp... but you will do this at your own (and your boat's) risk and peril... :)

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

ddg23

thanks for the reply Joseph and the help you provided.  The places I am launching have boat ramps but very few floating docks beside to walk my boat off the trailer and tie to the dock. Without a floating dock I guess I need to go swimming or have a dinghy to anchor the Suncat out far enough to prevent beaching on shore. I've only sailed the boat one year.  I'm slowly learning how to sail.  Thanks for your comments.
Dan