a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sunday Cat Mastendr System

Started by dlane83, November 08, 2011, 12:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlane83

I realize there aren't that many Sunday Cat owners out there yet, but has anyone replaced the Mastender system on the Sunday Cat with a standard headstay configuration like that used on the Sun Cat?  I personally would prefer to have a full length headstay that is attached to the bow stem with a quick release turnbuckle.  I believe the rational is that there isn't a cabin top to stand on when raising the mast by hand, but having a mostly open cockpit wouldn't seem to make raising the mast by hand that much more difficult.

Don L

CaptRon28

Don -

The normal Compac Mastender system is wire from mast top to deck toggle with a quck release CS Johnson fitting at the bottom end. The system just adds a line and gin pole to allow you to raise the mast using the winch. It's an improvement, not a replacement. But note that it is not that easy to use on the Horizon. Too much tension at the winch in my opinion. By the way, I thought that all of the later "Sun" cats had the same Mastender system?

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

capt_nemo

All "Later" Sun Cats do not have the Mastender System as used on the Sunday Cat as Standard Factory Equipment.

In fact, I'm glad mine does not have it because it would not permit tacking my small Nylon Drifter through the tiny foretriangle area!

capt_nemo

CaptRon28

I was looking at the various versions of the Sun before I bought an Horizon 2 years ago. I recall that the rig was similar. I thought that all of the Sun Cat versions now came with Mastendr. The ComPac web site seems to support this too, along with the brochures. Copied this from the daysailer brochure PDF, but they all have something like it -

"The Mastendrâ„¢ Quick Rig Sailing System is standard equipment on the Sun Cat Daysailer as it is on all of our catboats."

And if they all have forestays, why would the foretriangle be smaller with Mastendr? Is the forestay attached further inboard?

Ron Marcuse

capt_nemo

Capt Ron28,

If you consider the hinge mechanism only as "The Mastendr Quick Rig Sailing System" you are indeed correct. However, the "System" employed on the Sunday Cat has an additional Jib Boom and Pully arrangement in the foretriangle area to aid in hoisting the mast. This is referred to as the "Mastendr Plus", the newest version of the Mastendr System. (Check the Com-Pac Web Site) This is what would interfere with tacking my Drifter thru the tiny foretriangle on my Sun Cat.

capt_nemo

CaptRon28

The Horizon system is similar, with the 3 small blocks used to control the lifting line run back to the cockpit. But this "jib boom" plugs into a fitting on the mast when you use it to raise or lower, and is removed afterwards. It's really a gin pole, not a jib boom, and is about 30 inches long on the bigger cat. And it doesn't work that well - a number of Horizon owners report that it's much easier to raise and lower the mast by hand. I gave up on it. The force needed at the winch handle was excessive and was bound to create mechanical problems. My winch flew apart the first time (bolt holding drum to base sheared) and the gin pole busted the mount fitting the 2nd time. The winch held this time because I replaced the sheared grade 8 bolt with a class 12.9 bolt.
Ron Marcuse