a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

16 stability

Started by kickingbug1, October 17, 2011, 10:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

this past saturday my wife and i met rich brown (a good friend and clr sailor) at carlyle lake for a little day sailing. we left the dock together two 16s side by side heading into the main lake. the wind was forcast at 10 to 20 mph out of the west but turned out to be 20 with gusts of 25 or so. it made for "interesting" sailing to say the least. well to make a long story longer in the challenging conditions the 16 showed herself to be more than up to the task. most of the day we were heeled at 20 degrees occasionally 30 degrees. all was well until yours truly decided to jibe in the high wind. as i came around, i sheeted in the main amidships and locked it off as i prepared to switch sides. not watching , the boat came about quicker than expected, the wind caught the main (with the mainsheet locked) and put us both on the floor and on the lee side. the 16 went over hard but kept her composure even when we didnt. in a lesser boat i think i would have been cold and wet. i learned a few things. one the 16 is the most FORGIVING boat  you will ever find, two pay attention, and three rich is a much better sailor than i am. so for anyone thinking that the little 16 might not be all that safe----think again  SHE SURE THE HELL IS
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

JParody

A sincere "Thank you!" for sharing.  Having read testimonies like yours, ( along  the 16's classic style, ) is what led me to get one!
   By the way.... "Puff", my husband, and I are having our first outing today!   My sails are original as is the rudder.... (1978)
We will make the best of it! The weather is absolutely gorgeous here in my part of NC today!

Thanks again kickingbug1 -  timely reassurance!  : )

Jill