Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

screen for deck vent?

Started by Cevin c Taylor, September 27, 2011, 08:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cevin c Taylor

Hello:
I have an '83 CP-16.  It came with a deck vent. Previous owner had the opening covered up w/ tape, I imagine to keep bugs out.  I've left it that way so far for the same reason.  I'd like to have a screen over it so that I could leave it off during the summer, or have a cover over it more solid than tape.  Did these come with some kind of cover?  I called the company, and they sent me a new deck vent, but it has no cover or screen on it.  If there is no cover, have people rigged something up? Any ideas?

Thanks.

jkat

Yeah.  Kind of stupid simple, and it's worked for me.  If your vent is like mine, a flexible plastic white cowl that you can rotate freely, then you may just need a circular piece of screen material about five inches in diameter.  My wife was the one that came up with it while I was searching for more complex solutions.  Remove the cowl vent and place a piece of flexible fiberglass(not metal screen) across the opening, push the vent down over it, and trim any excess screen.  Ventilation without bugs. 

Also, while trailering down the highway, rotate your vent to face backward to keep bugs from getting smashed in your vent and screen.  Hope this works in your situation.  Happy sailing.

Jeff

Cevin c Taylor

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.