a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Do You Drive It On The Trailer?

Started by bob lamb, June 16, 2005, 07:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob lamb

Would like to know the pros/cons of driving the 23 on the trailer.  Does anyone do that?

Bob
cp23SD

curtis

Quote from: bob lambWould like to know the pros/cons of driving the 23 on the trailer.  Does anyone do that?

Bob
cp23SD

Bob,

If I understand your question you are asking whether others drive all the way onto the trailer or part way on, pull the trailer out, and then use the winch to bring the boat to the front of the trailer.

I put the trailer in at a steep ramp and sort of drive on.  I use a line tied to the bow and replaced the 2x4 keel guides with 2x10s so the boat aligns well.  Then I drive the trailer off the ramp and don't have to hand winch 3,000 lbs on the rollers.

The down side is you have to have a steep ramp, and be willing to dunk the entire trailer and a little bit of the back of the truck.  The exhaust pipe, bumper, and trailer hitch all get dunked.  The wheels and brakes of the truck don't need to get wet if the ramp is steep and you really don't want that much to get salt water on it.

Curtis

bob lamb

Thanks Curtis, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Bob

pbrenton

Bob,

When I drive my CP23 on the trailer I find the little wheel on the front does not respond well when I turn the tiller, why is that do you suppose?

I also find a lot of traffic passes me on the highway.  Perhaps I do not have enough sail area to keep up with cars.  They all wave though, but its a funny kind of wave with just one finger.  Is that some sort of secret club sign?

Braking is not fun either; the anchor I have must not be designed for asphalt use.

Pete
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

Craig

Bob,

The one thing you MUST NOT DO is submerge your rear differential. The vent tube will suck up water and it will not last more than a few hundred miles.

Craig

bob lamb

Pete:  sounds like you may need to upgrade the horsepower on your trailer!

Craig: I'm planning on using a tongue extension the next time I retrieve my little ship.

Bob