a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail slugs

Started by Kirk, April 07, 2013, 05:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk

Sometimes the slugs bind when raising the sail.  I would like to try using outhaul slugs which are longer.  Does anyone know if slug sizes as shown in catalogs are based on narrow part of mast slot (which seems to measure 5/16") or entry point ( which seems to be 1/2")

Eagleye

Kirk,
Make sure your track and slugs are clean and free from oil, grease and dirt.  Then apply a liberal amount of Sailkote to the slugs and the track.   The stuff works great!

http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

Good Luck,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Bob23

Each season before I raise my mast, I run some fine sandpaper over the edges of the sail slot and then wax it up. The slugs always seem to slide pretty freely.
Bob23

kickingbug1

im with bob on this one--shine up the sail slot and check the slugs for burrs
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

skip1930

Spray the slugs and track and also any rope that slides into an aluminum track with some dry silicone spray.

skip.

Kirk

Thanks guys for the responses to my question.  I will cetainly try lubricating the mast channel and slugs.  I think that I found the answer to my question on slug size.  The Sailrite website has an addendum which indicates to me that slug size descriptions are based on the size of the mast channel which seems to be 5/16" on my 2005 Picnic Cat.