a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Brightening up non-skid...

Started by trapp, September 15, 2004, 08:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapp

I have a '85 23 MkII and have noticed the molded in non-skid is dull.  Does anyone know of anything that will brighten it up?  Thanks.

CaptK

trapp -

you may not want to shine it up - it would probably get slippery!

You could repaint it, and use non-skid particles in the paint, in order to freshen up the appearance a bit.
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Gil Weiss

I agree with Capt. Kurt that you don't want it shined and slippery. If it needs cleaning, however, I have very successfully used SoftScrub with bleach on my deck areas. Use either a brush or sponge to clean with it - a bruash works better on the no skid areas.

trapp

I agree that slippery non-skid would be a bad idea I just wasn't sure if there was anything out there that could take off the oxidization without leaving a slippery residue.  I'll definitely try the soft scrub though.  Thanks for the input.

Craig Weis

Got strong arms, good knees, and a lot of time?
Good.
Start with Mother's Gold car wash soap. Get the bird poop off.
Anybody's Chrome Polish and a stiff plastic brush from Target.
"Wax on wax off", hey worked on the old Buick. Really it's not wax.
Once you abraded all the oxidized stuff off, the surface needs protection.
"Wax on wax off", this time it is a wax. I use Mother's Gold.
A lot of hard work. Do it at the start, middle, and end of my short season.

Time for a Corona in a frosty mug.

Bt the way, how many hours, plus or minus is Chicago's time zone from the Greenwich what ever. I'd like to set to my time 11:21 pm. Right now.

thanx skip.

Windhawk

Craig Weis

WindHawk...thank you for the time.
skip

Craig Weis

Also note that SoftScrub is more 'scratchy' and will usually kill a gloss finish as on a very nice jelcoat. Or car, or whatever. That is why I say use Chrome Polish. Not as aggressive. But you have to wipe it off. That is work.

pbrenton

1. Boat Wash soap of choice, scrub good.

2. Poly-Clean then;

3. Poly-Glo.  

Expensive ($60 buys a kit good for a CP23 and lots leftover), but leaves a "plastic" coating that makes washing the dirt off later very easy.  They also sell a fine abrasive paste that is really "good" at taking off anything more persistent by removing a top layer of gel coat along with it.  Takes mucho elbow grease though.

Get everything off before poly-glo-ing, it gets "trapped" under the coating otherwise.

The Poly Glo goes on really easy.  Just wipe on basically.  Did the hull last year, its still shiny.  used about 8 coats and less than 1/3rd of the bottle.  (just wipe on until you can't tell where your wet line is any more, as instructions specify).  Started on the topside last weekend.  Can't do it in the rain, so did not finish :( .

I also lemon oiled the interior.  I love it when that is done, the interior teak seems to glow.  Of course, the lemon smell is a bit persistent...

Pete
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA