a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jiffy Reefing

Started by dlane83, November 02, 2011, 01:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlane83

I haven't seen jiffy reefing as an option on the HC or any other Com-Pac cats for that matter.  Since I have read somewhere on these posts comments about improving the reefing arrangement on the Sun or Horizon Cats and would like to know if jiffy reefing is available from Com-Pac or if it can be added to these boats.  To clarify further, is it possible to have one or more reefing lines led back to the cockpit to pull in a reef without having to go forward? 

In addition, some seem to feel a second reef would be valuable.  While I suspect it best not to venture out in a boat this size in winds requiring a second reef, it nonetheless is a point worth considering.  Any comments on this point and can reefing lines for two reefs be led aft?  On my larger boat, I have continuous line reefing - one line for each reef each pulling both the tack and clew down to the boom.  I like that arrangement a lot.  Very simple, very easy, although I only have one halyard to ease while pulling in the reef.  I suppose reefing a gaff rig is somewhat more involved/challenging.

Thanks,  Don L

shamblin

my reefing on the hc is a 7' rope that goes through each reef hole and is kept centered with a knot on each side of the sail.
to put in the reef 1-let down the halyards enough, 2-tie in 2 knots under the boom ,  3-tighten up the halyards .
a little rough but it seems to work with only a little experience with it, but the sail didnt set as beautifully reefed as at full sail.

bill in nc