a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another 25 joins the flotilla

Started by jamato323, June 21, 2011, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamato323

I negotiated the purchase of SandSpur today. She is hull #22 built in '00 and is an outboard model.
She has been on the hard for several years in the Florida sun so needs some TLC. I'll be looking to
the CP 25'ers for advice and hints although it looks like being so few we could meet in a phone booth (remember those?)
Anyway now to find a trucking company and bring her from Florida's right coast to the left. I hate leaving my SunCat Sanura but my back and arthritis have made launching and retrieving difficult as I close in on my 70th. Maybe the Charlotte Harbor catboats will allow me to hang out with them once in a while. At least my little sloop won't be the only one at the SunCat Nationals with two sails.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

capt_nemo

You can count on Sun Cat "Frisky", AKA "Sloop Frisky" to keep you company with her homemade Nylon Drifter. And, if conditions are right she may be adorned with her new homemade colorful Nylon Mainsail.

Drifter assisting on Port Tack.

nearlynu

Congratulations Paul,

I own hull 24, also a '00 model. Frolic is equipped with outboard, Tiller, Bimini, roller furling headsail, and a trailer. I traded up from a '83 CP 19, hull 195. I loved the 19 and really love my 25. I am land locked on a small lake in Meridian MS. There is a good sailboat contingency at the lake and this year we have plenty of water and have had unbelievably great winds, considering how hot it has been.

I do plan to trailer down to the FL panhandle (5 hours) this fall. I have sailed all over the Venice, Sarasota and Tampa area back when my dad owned the 19, mostly for day sails and the occasional overnight... great memories!

I wish you well with your new to you 25. Enjoy!

Cheers

Greg Patterson
CP 25 "Frolic"

jamato323

Thanks Greg, I just learned today that the transaction will be going ahead. I'm hoping to take possession early next week. I've already generated a long list and begun to assemble gear & expertise to bring her back from her four year bake in the Florida sun. This is my third Com-Pac having owned two Suncats Hulls 55 & 345. It will be fun to swap stories with you. If you want you can contact me off the list at pscribner at comcast dot net and we can compare notes. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

jamato323

My 25 (unnamed) arrives next week. Very excited but not unaware of the job ahead. This will be the third boat I've brought back from neglect. It sat on the hard for four years and the sun did its thing.
Guess I'll go from semi-retirement back to full time work. Ugh!

Sitting in the Florida Sun

Bright work is not

Comes with three mockingbirds

Compounding and wax

No comment
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
William Arthur Ward

Greene

That looks like a really fun project.  I bet when you are done with her she will be a beautiful sailboat.  I like the lines of the 25.  What are they supposed to sail like?  Stiff or a leaner?  We look forward to seeing the before and after pics of the inside/outside of your new baby.  I am just a sucker for projects - good thing one of these never shows up in my neck of the woods.     

Mike and B
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

jamato323

Hi Mike:
I'm told that it is based on the Watkins 25 mold with upgrade to Com-Pac quality.
http://cruisingresources.com/Com-Pac_25 Fair to weather, sea kindly. I love bringing
out beauty. I'll share progress. Inside is pretty good.

Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
William Arthur Ward

jamato323

A brief update on the rebirth of my ComPac 25 "Aloha Kai". She has been in the yard for a week and the changes are breath taking.

She arrived pretty sad after a 200 mile road trip following 4 years in the Florida Sun.

Power washing got rid of grime, mold and even lichen growing on bright work.

Hull compounded and waxed and bottom painted, she began to stun the yard with that famous ComPac beauty.

New main sheet and running rigging. Loose cordage is for Dutchman Flaking System.

Mast stepped with new LED anchor light.

Waiting for parts for Tohatsu 18 to complete job before sails are bent on and she greets the Gulf.

Thanks for the encouragement from the group.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
William Arthur Ward

jamato323

"Aloha Kai" is now reborn in SW FL. Maiden voyage under sail is this weekend. What a head turner! Even in a marina filled with power boats, she gets smiles and nods.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
William Arthur Ward

Bob23

Wonderful job, Paul. Keep us posted on the maiden voyage. Maybe if I ever parted with my 23, I'd move up to a 25. Gotta be able to trailer it behind my Tundra and standing headroom is nice. Let us know how she sails and, again, great job. I'm sure you put in hundreds of hours...it shows!
Bob23

skip1930

Jamato, I would not be too concerned about the wood trim. And what kind of reach is it to the outboard hung off the stern?
It's a very nice boat. Several CP-25's, both the older ones and the newer ones sail the waters of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
My dogs vet sailed a 25 mkIII till he acquired an elderly Stone horse, and now canoes. People power!

skip.

jamato323

Skip: The 18HP Tohatsu is hung pretty far down off the port aft so far I can't reach the flushing plug even balanced off the boarding ladder so I installed a flushing plug attachment and ran 1/4 tubing up to cockpit. When I come in, I hook up fresh water, idle the engine and use a lift motor to power the OB up out of the salt water....works great!

As for the teak, I'm not really compulsive about it but couldn't stand the mold and lichem (sp?) growing from it.

So a little cleaning, brightening, sanding, tacking and Startbrite Teak Sealant and voila!

Thanks all.

Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
William Arthur Ward

skip1930

Excellent flushing idea. Lichens are rather unusual on boats. Mostly up 'Nort' around here on rocks and the shady side of big-o-trees. I'm wood envious to be sure.

skip.