a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compass type/location for the CP-19

Started by steve brown, December 07, 2004, 01:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

As of 12/4/04 we became the new owners of CP-19 no. 93. One item the boat lacks is a compass. I hesitate to get one that penetrates the bulkhead and cabin inside teak panel. Requesting ideas from folks who have installed a compass. Another item under consideration is a depth finder. To drill or not to drill the hull for the transducer is the question. In light of that could anyone tell what I have in the starboard 'V' berth storage compartment. It is a pvc pipe with a cleanout screw in cap. The pipe is flush fitted and sealed to the hull in the bottom of the compartment and is about 4 inches high. There are some loose electrical wires next to the pipe. Hutchins claimed that they did not install such a pipe. They also guessed that it might be a reservoir to hold an oil bath for a depth finder transducer that would read through the hull. I thought that mounting a compass and depth finder on a short height drop board in the cabin hatch. Thankyou for your continuing support. As a newcomer, I really appreciate the advice. Steve :)

Craig

Steve,

I think the factory is right about what that PVC pipe is.  As far as a type and mounting of a compass I have bulkhead mounted Plastimo mini-contest on my 16.  I mounted it on the starboard side of the hatch.  I thought about the drop board but was concerned about the wiring.  If you can come up with a good way to connect and disconnect the wiring share it with us.  I have seen pictures of compasses mounted below the bridgedeck.  Allows for uniform sight lines from both sides of the boat, but crew legs can make seeing it difficult.

Craig

PS.  Congrats on the new boat!

bro t

Hi Craig,
we need to take our compass off the cabin bulkhead every fall for fear of freeze-up (usually -25 or colder at the low of winter), so when we wired up the light, we used a male/female bullet connector to assist. It works very well.  They also make a very nice spade connector combination which has a good cover.

mgoller

Hi Steve,
I have Com-Pac 19 #178.  I had a compass mounted to the Port side bulkhead.  I hated it. Twice when hopping down from the deck I caught my leg and put a 12" gash in my skin.  No one could use the bulkhead as a comfy back rest and get out of the way of the fairleads.  I don't want to start cutting holes.  I don't think the compass belongs in the foot well.  This leaves me one place.  Right in the center of the sliding hatch about 6" back.  No one has ever sat there, it is in the centerline of the boat, I can see it, its in no ones way.  I don't navigate with compass at night so I don't worry about a lighted compass.
The compac 19 has a pvc conduit running under and through the starboard quarter berth.  This is a conduit for wiring and handy for plumbing too.  If you look in either of the storage compartments under the v berth cushions there is clean and smooth fiberglass, and painted plywood.  Except for wiring running to the compression post nothing else.  So if you have PVC with a clean out screw your guess is probably right.
I bought a great depth finder, temp, speed system last summer for $149.  no through hull stuff and you can use the fuel line hole in the transom for your two cables.  I mount the readout under the tiller where no one sits obviously and I can see it.  It is an Eagle dual frequency fishfinder.  Gives me speed in knots with a transom mount paddlewheel.  I really didn't want to put a hole in the boat.
I use the speed, depth and my compass in tandem with a handheld GPS.  I get good redundancy of information with minimal expense and minimal intrusion into the body of my boat.
The 19 really is a coastal cruiser so outfitting much more with fancy electronics may not be necessary but it is personal prefernce and fun to personalize the boat.
Have fun, good luck, stay in touch,

steve brown

Thanks Marcus, The compass and depth finder locations are excellent. Steve

tsaiapex

Craig,

What model did you purchase and how did you mount it under the tiller?

Damsel19

I have used the drop board mount on a 16 and 19.  Have yet to wire it.  Most night runs are just acrossed the harbor for dinner.

If you are not fishing, you can do a shoot through the hull trans ducer.  You will loose about 25% of the deep end and some resolution, but for knowing depth were it is shallow you can't see the diference.  Clean surfaces, bed in siacone or epoxy slury.