a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

estimate on CP19

Started by ehall686, October 10, 2011, 03:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehall686

How do I go about getting a valid estimate on my cp-19?
I may have to sell it back to my Dad.

Billy

You can get some good comps from sailing Texas. There is a bunch on that site.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99compac19.html
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

ehall686

Those are some nice boats on that site, I guess it's a good bench mark to start but mine has some problems that may bring the price down. 

Do I just start taking away $$$ for every problem with the boat.

Billy

Depends on the problems.

Also, what year, sail conditions, does it have an engine and condition of, does it have a trailer, where the boat is located, condition of the rigging, condition of the hull, and what accessories come with the boat (Bimini, foil rudder, additional sails(not the old ones) cockpit cushions, gps, depth sounder, VHF).

Post some pictures and more details and you could get a good response here.

What did you pay for it?
How long ago?
What overall condition is it in and was it in when you bought it.

Bob23

That is a tough question, ehall:
   I've pondered what I'd ask for my 1985 23/2 if I were forced to sell her. And it would take much force to force me to sell.
   What she's worth to me? About a million, give or take a hundred. What could I sell her for? Depends on what someone is willing to pay. What I paid for her would have no bearing on what I'd ask.
   If she's dirty, clean her up. If she has no trailer, try to find a cheapo. It's harder to sell a trailerable sailboat without a trailer. No motor? Same...find a good used one. Don't give the perspective buyers too many reasons to bargain down. By the way, why would you have to sell it back to your Dad? Just curious.
Bob23

Billy

Quote from: Bob23 on October 11, 2011, 07:20:13 PM
That is a tough question, ehall:
   I've pondered what I'd ask for my 1985 23/2 if I were forced to sell her. And it would take much force to force me to sell.
   What she's worth to me? About a million, give or take a hundred. What could I sell her for? Depends on what someone is willing to pay. What I paid for her would have no bearing on what I'd ask.
   If she's dirty, clean her up. If she has no trailer, try to find a cheapo. It's harder to sell a trailerable sailboat without a trailer. No motor? Same...find a good used one. Don't give the perspective buyers too many reasons to bargain down. By the way, why would you have to sell it back to your Dad? Just curious.
Bob23

I agree with everything you said.

skip1930

One never pays too much.
Just buys too soon.
No help.
skip.

ehall686

I'm trying to keep the boat in the family, my dad has had it since 1996, he gave it to me for a dollar this year. Now my mom has severe dementia and has to go into a nursing home, with all the paperwork that we are filling out one of the things is that you can't transfer a boat within the family within the last 60 months, so it goes back to him but we have to put a price tag on it. Hopefully we do not have to sell it because I can't afford it I lost my full time job 2 years ago and have only found part time work for now.
So I guess I need the price as low as possible the opposite of selling the boat to a perspective buyer. I'll try and post some photos of the boat soon.

Billy

I saw a boat on the Ft. Meyers, FL craigslist about 2 months ago for $1,500. It looked to be in fair shape, but needed alot of work, new sails, running rigging, etc. The bones seemed to be ok though. It had a motor & trailer too. However the trailer needed work as it was in bad shape.

Don't know if this helps but $1,500 is about as low as I could imagine for a 19 that still floats! I tried to convince my wife to buy it but she vetoed it.

If you do end up having to sell it, let us know. I have a friend who is looking. He passed on the last boat due tothe trailer.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

ehall686

I up loaded some photo to photbucket here is the link   http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/ehall686/Sail%20Boat/

I just got word from the lawyer the the estimate has to be on a letterhead from a boat dealer. We have a few in town looks like that I may have to drag it down to them and pay for an estimate.

The boat will be in my dads name but it will sit in my yard. I have a few things to do on it this winter as you can see by the photos.