a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard motor mount bracket

Started by steve brown, August 31, 2005, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

The outboard motor mount bracket on my 1982 CP19 has only two positions. Motor up or motor down. I have a Honda 5hp long shaft mounted on the replacement polypropylene board that Hutchins sent me. The board that came with the boat did not look substantial.
Is the 2-position bracket standard on the 19 of this period or was it meant for a lighter two stroke motor. When my motor is down in the lower position it is difficult to get a good straight pull on the starter cord and steering with the motor is problematic. The prop is well down in the water however. I need to steer with the motor when returning to my slip as the water there is choked with weeds and renders the rudder useless. I would like to get a heavier duty motor bracket with more adjustment but I would prefer it would match the existing bolt hole locations. Thanks for the help again. Steve

mgoller

Hi Steve,
I have the same problem, but I can get a good pull on the starter.  The handle on my Johnson pivots up and I can get enough travel to steer.  There isn't a lot of room, but for what little I use the motor, it is OK.  I don't see any way around it, unless you remove the stern rails which is a big decision.
My motor is a Johnson 6hp.  It is a fairly trim design.  A bulkier engine might really get difficult.  The throttle handle pivotting may be the key.
My original double ply board is very hefty and in good shape.
You know you may want to adjust the motor on your mount until you have it in a place that allows the best access and then lock it down.
Maybe the replacement mount is the problem.  My prop is down in until I move forward, when it starts cavitating and the exhaust is exposed.  I wonder if you have your prop down too far and thereby your starter pull is too low?

steve brown

Thanks Marc. Since my first post I changed my motor mount to one with additional lock positions. I now can set the motor a bit higher or lower with the additional stops.  The mount will take up to 20hp 2-stroke but it is also specified for use with up to a 5hp 4 stroke engine (Fulton MB17100134). I have a Honda and the handle does pivot up for steering as you recommend. With the original mount I thought the starter pull was too low. Interesting, the brackets match on both mounts so I was able to use the same holes through the transom. I caulked the new installation as the original was not. We will see how it all goes next Spring as I did not install it until after I pulled the boat out for the season. Steve