a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tune-up for Sun Cat Nationals

Started by capt_nemo, October 24, 2011, 10:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

Decided to go for a tune-up sail today with Sun Cat "Frisky" on Charlotte Harbor. Bright sunny day, 80+ degree high. Winds were light, 5-10, until about 1430 when I was headed back to the ramp, at which time they increased to 10-15.

As I pulled into the ramp area noticed another Sun Cat rigging for launch. Lo and behold it was Larry and Cathy Rickett with Sun Cat "Indy Anna".

We both sailed around the Harbor in the light air making slow progress. Here is a photo of "Indy Anna" moving in the nearly flat water.

I had my homemade Nylon Drifter up to assist the Main but wasn't satisfied. So I dropped all sail and rigged my homemade Nylon Light Air Mainsail to accompany the Nylon Drifter. That made all the difference for what little air we had. The boat moved considerably better and I sailed the rest of the afternoon reasonably satisfied with the Light Air Rig.

Here is a photo of the Light Air Mainsail with Drifter barely visable on starboard tack.

Tom Ray

Just to clarify for those who may be unfamiliar with the racing rules for the Sun Cat Class: all you have to have is a hull that is arguably a Sun Cat hull. It is an unlimited development racing class as far as sails and underwater foils go.

In Charlie's case, all you need is a history of owning a Sun Cat and the right disposition for a catboat jib trimmer. (Not the kind who rides on Don's boat, the other kind.) ;)

Salty19

Captn Nemo..you are an inspiration to all Suncat sailors!   Very nice work..looks like the sailing season in FL has officially begun!

Have fun at the Nationals too...you lucky dogs (cats) !!!!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

When are the famous SunCat Nationals to take place? And where? Charlotte Harbor?
bob23

capt_nemo

Bob23,

Although Tom Ray our HJTIC (Head Jib Trimmer In Charge) should be chiming in here, I'll give you the short answers.

They are shceduled to take place Nov 5 & 6 on Charlotte Harbor which is between Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda, Southwest Florida.

And, there is even a website for further info - www.suncatnationals.com.

capt_nemo

Bob23

Well, I won't be down thataway in November but maybe in January we'll zip down to PG to visit our daughter. I'll look you up....maybe get out for a sail aboard "Frisky". Good luck in the race!
bob23

Billy

I'm planning a trip down to Cato costa othe 3rd weekend of Nov. But I heard there was some red tide in the gulf just outside of the harbor. Any truth to this?
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

capt_nemo

Billy,

We have had some Red Tide recently offshore along Manasota Key (North of Charlotte Harbor) and just offshore a bit outside the Harbor, but in my opinion, you should not be affected inside the Gulf Islands and in Charlotte Harbor proper. The Harbor area is approximately 100 square miles - plenty of room to sail and have fun!

capt_nemo

Billy

Good to know! West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron is planning a weekend camping trip the 18th thru the 20th. As of your update, I'll be there!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-