a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spinlock Power Cleat

Started by Tim22, July 29, 2011, 10:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim22

I am developing a distaste for the halyard Spinlock Power Cleats. On one occasion, when I thought it was locked, it released dropping the gaff peak.  I see, on the Spinlock website, that the new cleats have a tension adjustment which is absent on my (2006) cleats and am thinking of swapping out the old cleats for new ones, or replacing them with something else. Has anyone else had this problem or changed the cleats? Any suggestions as to something better would be most appreciated. In the best of all worlds I would like to reuse the current holes.

Thanks
Tim22

capt_nemo

The Spinlocks on my 2010 Sun Cat were located forward on the cabin top where some type of turning blocks or fairleads should have been mounted.

As such they were difficult to control because they would sometimes release when I was raising or lowering sail. I mounted plastic fairleads to turn the halyards using two of the 4 holes and moved the spinlocks back to the rear edge of the cabin top on a raised sail controls platform where they perform quite well.

A photo of the sails control platform appears in my post on page 2 of the Sun Cat Long Pin Thread below. (I'm traveling and internet connection will not quickly upload from CPYOA Photobucket).

capt_nemo

cavie

Mine are on the rear of the cabin and work just fine.

Tim22

Mine are located on the rear of the cabin. The problem is not the location, but that they are very stiff which makes them hard to operate. I've done some research on this and found a number of complaints about this as the cleats get older. Mine are 2006 so are now 5 years old. They also do not have the adjustable tension that the new ones have. If people are generally happy with the new ones I will simply replace the older model with the new one. This is by far the simplest solution as the holes will line up.

Thanks
Tim