a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replaced Original Mainsheet Cam Cleat

Started by dgholmes, April 04, 2005, 09:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgholmes

I have had problems with the mainsheet jamming in the mainsheet cam cleat.  To let the boom out required hand feeding the sheet.  After searching the forums, I found a suitable replacement on the yahoo compac forum.

I replaced the old SS bullseye cam cleat with a Harken 205 swivel base and a Harken  19 ratchet block.   Thanks Al Williams for your post on Yahoo ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-pac/message/3791 ).  I posted a picture in the gallery so everyone could see what it looks like in case you also are considering a change.  You can see the old cam cleat next to the swivel base in the picure.

stever3721

Hello Darrell,
 Does your motor get in the way of your mainsheet modification, when it is raised out of the water?  Do you have a motor? I would like to make this modification to my boat, but my boat does not sail well with motor in water...  

Thanks
SteveR

dgholmes

I do have a 2 hp suzuki motor.  I have not sailed my boat yet with the modification.  I will, however, attach the motor and put it in the sailing configuration and post a picture, if you would like.  If you are wanting actual information after I have taken her out sailing, you will have to wait until Friday.  :D  Let me know what you need.

stever3721

Darrell,
 Thanks for the speedy reply!  As an armchair sailor for the past 7 months, (I live in Minnesota, and ice-off is just ? around corner)... I would love a full report of how the new rig sails.

From the photo, I can see you mounted it slightly to boat center... leaving original cam cleat in-tacked.  That is a good idea..  If a person removed the original cam cleat, I would be concerned that when the  motor mount is in the upright position and the motor tilted forward, it would interfere.

Looking forward to seeing/reading tales of your shakedown cruise...

SteveR
CP-16 #2032

dgholmes

Steve,
I mounted the swivel base in the same location as the old cam cleat.  I just had the cam cleat in the photo as a  comparison.

The swivel base worked flawlessly and is a great improvement over the old cam cleat.  I would recommend the Harken 205 if you are considering a replacement.  It was sure nice to let out the main without having to pay out the mainsheet by hand.

Also, the motor did not get in the way at all.  I had the motor mount in the up position and them motor tilted so it was not in the water while sailing.  Still, the sheets did not get close to the motor and worked great.

Man, I love the CP16.  The wind was 5 to 15 with gusts to 25mph.  The boat performed like one much bigger.  I was running full sails and a few times the rubrail was in the water.  Great fun and great boat.  Cant wait to go again.

Also, drove the boat on the trailer with no problems again.  The trailer modification works great.

Nick

Nice new job.  How did you attach the new harken cleat to the back of the boat.  Did you through bolt it or just screw it into the boay of the boat?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated

dgholmes

Nick,
It is through bolted.  I took off the old cam cleat and used as many of the original holes that I could and then drilled new ones for a total of 4.  I tried to to use flat and lock washers, but the space was too tight so I just used nuts on the back side.  This is what Hutchins had done also with the old cleat.  I wont lie to you, it was not easy getting my hand up in the small place and getting those 4 nuts on.  If I had it to do over, I would put sealant on the washers to hold them in place while I put the nuts on.  I thought of that just after I finished.  Like I always do.  I would not even consider redoing it and putting on the washers.

Nick

Thanks, I think I will give it a try!!!!