a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bow roller strike plate

Started by Tim22, July 04, 2011, 09:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim22

I recently installed a bow roller and chain pipe. When the anchor is sitting in the roller the shank eye rests on the fibreglass foredeck.  I am wondering if it is necessary to install some sort of strike plate under the point of contact and, if so, are there any recommendations - teak, SS ?

Thanks

Tim

Joseph

Faced with the same problem I considered several possible solutions. I first experimented with marine anti-chafe steel sheets (expensive and not very amenable to follow curve surfaces) and then decided to try two felt pads (very cheap, beige colour, sticky on one side, sold in hardware stores mainly to place under furniture legs for protecting wood floors). I have not had to worry about that problem ever since.

Hope this helps.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

oddduck

If I understand your question, here's a link to my solution to the problem - not real fancy, but easy, functional, and no holes in the boat.  Home Depot has the large diameter vinyl tubing.

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/fiddlerami/2011/June/TheDuck/

Dennis

Tom Ray

So far I have just let mine scratch the boat. It is one of the advantages of buying a pre-scratched boat. ;)

Tim22

Thanks for the replies. I had been thinking of a teak plate but will try these other solutions first.

I have another question which arose out of the anchor roller install. The forestay fastener on the (hutchins supplied) anchor roller is slightly higher than the original thru deck U bolt. This meant that when I put the mast back up the forestay was slack. To compensate for this I removed the multi hole metal spacer piece from between the mast tang and forestay and connected the forestay directly to the tang. This seems to work fine but I am concerned that by removing the spacer piece altogether I may have over tensioned the forestay.  Could someone with the anchor roller let me know if they have a spacer piece between the mast tang and the forestay, and if so, which hole is it set to.

Thanks
Tim22

Tom Ray

Tim, I'm not sure you want to try my solution. ;)

Your forestay should be tight enough that it's a bit difficult to swing the tensioner, and a bit scary to release the tensioner. Too easy and not very scary? Too loose. Too hard and extremely scary/you hurt yourself? Too tight.

You can adjust it by tightening or loosening shrouds. Rig tension is not hugely critical on a Sun Cat. You want the rig to stand up, that's about all. Since the sail is completely behind the rig, nothing about rig tension can really affect sail shape, except the rig landing in the drink.

Tim22

Hi Tom

Nice solution!!

I  don't think the rig is scary tight and I didn't think much about it when I put the mast back up. It was when I was driving home it occurred to me that the boom seemed higher at the stern than usual and I started wondering if I had raked the mast forward slightly. As I won't be back to the boat until next weekend I thought I'd ask what spacer arrangement others had. Additionally, I think the the spacer may have been thrown out so if I need to put it back I'll have to pick up a new one before the weekend. My Sun Cat is at the cottage in Quebec, Canada and is a long way from the nearest chandlery store so I have to plan ahead as much as possible.

Happy 4th of July

Tim22

skip1930

Don't sit any part of the anchor on fiberglass.

skip.