a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 25 mast step

Started by LuvInIt, March 26, 2013, 11:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuvInIt

Hello to all.  I have been reading all your posts and really enjoy learning from your knowledge.  I have had Compac 25 for several years and have only used her for Marguerittas sailing on Sunday afternoons.  I put a Honda 15 HP 4 stroke on her to help with the strong tides I get at Johns Pass near Madeira Beach, Florida.  Works great!  Has electric start and tilt.

Now that I am retired, I am preparing for my first voyage from Maderia Beach to Key West and back.  SO, I am doing a little work on her, new running rigging, changing to LED lights, etc.  Now here is my first question.  (certainly more to follow as I proceed with my projects).   I want to take the mast down for some work on the masthead.   ??? ???  I don't know how to do it?????.  I have the manual but it doesn't address the process. I know I have to remove the main sail and boom but what about the jib on the roller furhling?   When looking at the mast step it looks like the mast is slipped vertically into the step.  Is that correct?  And after loosening many turnbuckles. Does the mast lift out and then I can lay it down on the decking? 

I would appreciate any advice or where I can get it.

Thanks,
Phil Ragan. (Rags)

Harrier

Phil, from your description, it sounds like you have a fixed mast step, not a hinged step.  Is that correct?
If so, ignore all information you find about gin poles, etc.  The only reasonable process I've found is
http://www.catalina27.org/SN-FTP/mastraising.jpg

There is also a video on you tube which goes through the process
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shfx85OWQss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFhnYQmRYs

Otherwise you need a crane.

LuvInIt

Thank you.  I have the largest trailer able Compac.  I just talked to Gerry Hutchins who is a prince by the way!  He explained the process.  Said I needed man power since it is heavy with the roller and gib still attached.  He said the mast will pivot to the aft on the pin when the appropriate fittings are released.  My neighbor volunteered. 

As a note, I read the forum for two hours last night.  This Compac family is truly a helpful and kind community.

Thanks to all.

Rags.....nickname I was tagged with in my fighter pilot days.

Koinonia

Do you already have a ramp picked to launch from? How much water at the end of the ramp do you need to float off if you are using a ramp.  The furthest south ramps I know of I can launch at are at Laishley marina and Burnt store marina in Punta Gorda.  Ive been curious about having the boat lifted in Marathon and heading over to the Bahamahs.

LuvInIt

Hello, sorry for the late reply.  I don't get on the web much unless I am researching something.  I am fortunate to have LUV-IN-IT in a slip in my back yard.  It takes me about 30 minutes to get to the Gulf of Mexico via John's Pass near Madeira Beach Florida.  Still have not found the time to lower the mast and repair/update some items. 

Safe sailing,
Phil