News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Will pick up my Picnic cat today in 5 hr.

Started by Jer., June 24, 2011, 11:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jer.

Am looking forward to outfitting it with little things that might be needed. I am on the St John's river in Florida. Boat is used but ion new condition with a 2 hp Honda for a kicker.
Looking for comments on what I may need besides watter (drinking & floating) on board. Like finders & suggestions like the ones to keep stuff out of the bilge.
Can't wait to just play with it even in driveway.

Mokey7

Crew!!! You need crew!! Well, not really, but if you do, I'd be happy to help out as I've been dreaming/planning on getting a Sun Cat, but have yet to set foot on or sail on a cat boat. Unfortunately I can't help on further suggestions, other than a bimini.

capt_nemo

Mokey7,

Hurry up get that Sun Cat and come on down to SW Florida to enjoy Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf Islands. You'll have plenty of company with more than a half dozen local Sun Cats in the area.

And, if your underpowered Sun Cat needs help in light air just add a homemade Nylon Drifter! It may even help a Picnic Cat in light air!

Jer.

I have  had the pic-cat out in some good winds & she is handles great. One thing that surprised me was how good the little boat's balance is on the rudder.
 I have the Honda 2 HP on it (air cooled) & it is one great motor. never have to use full power & most of the time about 1/4 throttle.
Having fun just rigging the boat & getting used to it.
Might try some lazy jacks just for fun.

capt_nemo

Lazy Jacks are an excellent addition to your rigging which will help tame the main and gaff when dousing sail.

Just remember, you only use them a fraction of the time when out sailing, that moment or two it takes to lower the main'sl, so don't get too complicated or fancy with extra unnecessary hardware. Two legs, using a combo of line and continuous bungee cord work well for me on my Sun Cat. And there is no hardware whatsoever!

capt_nemo

Bob23

Nemo:
   Are you guys planning another SunCat National 2011 regatta?
bob23 

capt_nemo

Bob23,

Yes, the Sun Cat Nationals is scheduled for November 5 & 6 this year!

capt-nemo