a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Downwind surfing

Started by jhopps, May 11, 2005, 06:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhopps

On a few occasions when the wind and the waves are just right, I have been able to surf while going downwind on my cp16.  I am sure that I have going 6 or 7 knots real distance.  To do it you need about 15 -20 breeze and for the waves to be about 2 ft and moving with the air.  I set my sails wing on wing and head up about 45 to 60 degrees from dead downwind.  You must sit as far forward in the cockpit as you can and on the leward side. this helps prevent rocking and gets the stern up to ride the waves.  It is hard to maintain on the wave for more than about 30 to 45 sec but when the wave passes under just point downwind and wait till the next wave comes and head back up on it for another ride. :lol:

Gil Weiss

I have twice been able to experience this lake sailing in a good breeze which generated a bit of wave action. It is a neat feeling. In a coastal sailing environment one could do more of this.

Lot's of fun . .

Craig Weis

Wing on wing, for me dead astern is fine when sailing the C-P 19. I love that lift and nose down attitute when rushing down the face of a huge roller. About 12 miles like this last season when sailing to Green Island with two other Com-Pacs! What a RUSH man.  skip

multimedia_smith

That's right.... sit as far forward as you can...  wing on wing with the pole out... dead downwind in line with the wind vane...
Lake Ponchartrain is 70miles by 24 miles and shallow (13' - 18' deep) and approaching the shore the waves build even higher.  We've experienced the "surfing" thing often there.
I'm not exaggerating... I had the GPS in my hand and the tiller in the other... my daughter and I hit 7.8 (but that's measured in MPH not knots)
Now that was a peak speed but we run down at the mid 6s on average.
WHEEEEE!!!! :lol:

multimedia_smith

That's right.... sit as far forward as you can...  wing on wing with the pole out... dead downwind in line with the wind vane...
Lake Ponchartrain is 70miles by 24 miles and shallow (13' - 18' deep) and approaching the shore the waves build even higher.  We've experienced the "surfing" thing often there.
I'm not exaggerating... I had the GPS in my hand and the tiller in the other... my daughter and I hit 7.8 (but that's measured in MPH not knots)
Now that was a peak speed but we run down at the mid 6s on average.
WHEEEEE!!!! :lol:

jhopps

One of the things I have noticed while surfing was that the Boat seems
to act like an obstruction to the waves, which then actually causes the waves to build up even more behind the boat which then makes it more easy to catch a wave.  have any of youj seen this effect?

Craig Weis

I think this is a direct result of hull displacement. The water has to go somewhere, but hesitates a moment while 'some water' gathers up 'other buddy water' to help push the hull out of it's way. Does that make sense? It's called fluid dynamics.
It does to me...but I'm kind of crazy. LOL!