News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

more rennovation; to replace all Nav & cabin light bulbs ? Which to buy ?

Started by hockeyfool, May 05, 2011, 08:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

I promise to take pics and post when I get this  light bulb replacement finished; but
which ones  to buy for the nav, anchor, mast head, and cabin light bulbs ?
  Defender has 3 brands of LED's , Dr. LED seems the best but I  dont know which model
number of LED light  to buy .
Anyone know ?

skip1930

A VERY bright LED lamp to go into the Bosch red/green reflector on the bow pulpit and the stern Bosch reflector on the stern pulpit.
These are so bright I can't stare at them like I can an incandescent bulb.
Note item #6 under benefits, only because of the cost to certify these LED lamps for navigation is way too prohibitive.

Additionally a red LED standard automotive tail light LED bulb from AutoZone for the cabin 'mood' lamp.
One could also fit an LED in the cabin top fixture. I have not done that, since I don't use that overhead lamp but once in a blue moon.

The steaming lamp on the mast is a LED as well, but you have to do a little soldering and bulb base fitting to make that work and still fit within the clear plastic cover. Worth the 1/2 hour it takes to fit it. And The Davis anchor lamp is a LED as well.

Keeping as many electrons in the battery for as long as possible. skip.

curtisv

Skip,

Your NAV lights are Bosch?  Mine seem to be Aqua Signal.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

skip1930

The factory navigation lamp holders and reflectors say Bosch, boldly embossed into the plastic.
I like 'em. When I installed my stern pulpit I had to move the light from the top-o-combing to the
welded bracket on the pulpit. That meant fishing the wires into and through the pulpit tubing and out
the hole next to the bracket. The hole on top-o-combing was filled [covered up] with an ensign staff.

Clever. skip.