a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

boomkicker and vang

Started by gray, April 21, 2011, 11:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gray

Capt Nemo and Patch, did you or any other Suncat sailors out there, add a boomkicker to your Suncats? I've decided that I don't want a topping lift/lazyjack set up and think a boomkicker would work nicely. However I'd love to hear from anyone whose done it. I also want to add a boom vang but think I should figure out both at the same time?

cavie

How does one manage the sail without lasyjacks???? I love my lazy jacks. Wouldn't leave home without them.

capt_nemo

gray,

Decided to try my homemade light air main'sl without boomkicker to support boom and stowed main. Instead I'm using telescoping lightweight poles for the gaff and boom spars required for the nylon main. I 've finished making the sail and hope to "drysail" it within the next few days in the storage yard, to tweak attachment points and achieve positive "proof of principle" results, before flying it on the water on a light air day.

Designing a four sided nylon light air main has been more difficult and challenging than the "Good Old Boat" Magazine article presented for a triangular main in a Marconi Sloop Rig. There are several interesting problems with rigging it on our Sun Cats which will require trial and error design efforts. But it's so much fun!

Although a vang-like tackle is often pictured with the Boomkicker, it's not really necessary unless needed to assist the mainsheet in achieving proper sail shape. The Boomkicker in its unloaded (unbent) position pushes the boom slightly upward to remove the boom's weight from the foot of the main in light air. So, with our sheeting arrangement you might need to exert a downward pull on the boom to achieve proper sail shape especially on a Reach or a Run. Some of our local Sun Cats are rigged with boom vangs, and I will consider adding one in due time. Priorities, Priorities, Priorities.

The Boomkicker WILL eliminate the need for a topping lift. But, in my opinion IT WILL NOT ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR SOME SORT OF LAZY JACK SYSTEM to control the mainsail and that pesky gaff when dousing sail.

If you are interested in a CHEAP, HOMEMADE, NO BLOCK, NO CLEAT (NO HARDWARE WHATSOEVER), NO CHAFE, SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE LAZY JACK SYSTEM like I employ on my Sun Cat, let me know.

capt_nemo

gray

A Cap't Nemo lazy jack system seems like it would be perfect for 'sv Nemo'. Details please, or would you consider coming up to help install and sail on Lake Champlain?

capt_nemo

gray,

I've already helped one local Sun Cat sailor install my system after he removed all the "junk" associated with his store bought system. Haven't heard any complaints.

I'll need directions to Lake Champlain, or at least an address for Mapquest, and a convenient time to meet you there.

Seriously, I'll send details in a Personal Message (PM).

capt_nemo