Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Zinc Anode Life Span

Started by jkj2nd, April 19, 2011, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkj2nd

Hey folks!

Since I keep my SunCat in a slip, my dealer suggested that I replace the zinc anodes on my centerboard every year. The SunCat owners manual recommends "occasionally" inspecting the anodes and replacing them when they have completely deteriorated. Anyone know how long the anodes "typically" last when boat is kept in the water?

Thanks

jkj2nd.

gray

I just got a couple of spares from the Hutchins Bros. I will be putting on bottom paint in the next couple of weeks and will replace the zincs at the same time if necessary. I'll let you know how they look - they have been on for at least four years!

brackish

I found it to be variable based on the grounding habits of the marina, you, and your neighbors.  Some minor stray current and they will go fast.  There was a time on my last boat where I had to replace my shaft anode about every year.

skip1930

In harbor with other boats on both side of you is the most dangerous place to be for having the zinc dissolved or you falling in and being electrocuted. No

The zincs are gone when there gone.

skip.

Tom Ray

I have seen lifespans range from a month to two years. In a Sun Cat, at least you can be pretty sure that a fast-disappearing zinc is not related to on-board electrical problems, and must be from neighboring boats and/or dock power systems.

You just have to keep checking to see how fast they get eaten up. If the answer is six months or less, it might be worth it to relocate, if possible. Sometimes just moving to a different dock in the same marina can help.

jkj2nd

Thanks much! She's in fresh water slip (lake) w/ zero current. Centerboard is in up position except when sailing. Purchased 2 pair from Matt @ Com-Pac Yachts; just in case.

Salty19

I would not assume there's not any current there.  Lot's of boats (and captains!) are miswired and give off stray current.  Doesn't have to be electrical facilities on premise for stray current to be present.      Just walking around the docks I can see many cases of potential current problems, including bare wires in the water and aftermarket light grounds attached to aluminum pontoon hulls.    I swear some of the boats are either about to catch fire, sink or split in two.

There are instuctions somewhere for measuring current in the water with a voltmeter and anmeter. I don't recall where you touch the leads (one in the water, the other ??).

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

jkj2nd

Thanks Salty!

Unfortunately, there are no sailboat dealers in my immediate area. However, I was, finally, able to locate a marine service company with a lift which can accommodate my SunCat for inspecting the anodes. Will inspect them this weekend and have replacements from Com-Pac if necessary.