News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Good boat ramps for overnighting in the keys?

Started by Frantic, February 14, 2011, 04:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frantic

Hey all, I'm planning a little 3 day trip in the keys/Florida Bay. I'd like to spend the first night on the Nest Keys campground and then kinda play it by ear from there. Now, I'm having trouble locating a good boat ramp on the bayside that will let me keep the truck and trailer over night. Anyone here know of any good spots or other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Billy

do a search for "keys". I have had this discussion before. Just can't remember anything about it. I must be getting old!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Frantic

Thanks for the reply. Did a search but couldn't find our post. While searching though I did find out about a place called South Dade Marina. Has anyone used it recently? Know of any good ways to get from there into Florida Bay without using the intercoastal?

skip1930

Bob Dubuque  on Facebook

Key West Sailing 12.08.

He trailered his sailboat down to the keys for a few months or weeks?? last winter and he would have a couple of ideas about tie-ups and anchor spots.

At Institutional Advisory Services Group (IASG) (Investment Advisor) From Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin

Craig skip Weis Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin

crazycarl

Try Crandon Park Marina in Key Biscayne.  They have very nice ramps and ample parking.  I stayed there overnite while sailing through the Keys this time last year. 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Frantic

Crandon is very nice. But its to far since I only have 4 days :)

I think South Dade Marina is the winner. Looks like I can go out of Manatee Bay through Barnes Sound then into Jewfish creek into  Blackwater Sound then up through the southern creek in the boggies into florida bay and arrive at the Nest Keys.

So one more question. I'm not sure about going through the boggies. It would be a great shortcut if it works though. Chart says its 2ft at low tide which is cutting it a little close. Anyone every take their boat through there?

ssullivan

this time of the year the tides are a lot lower than average down here, so be careful you could get stuck were the charts say the water is deep enough.

Frantic

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I think I'm just gonna try going through the biggies and if it doesn't work out I'll just drag the boat out of the mud and go the long way. :)

ssullivan

hey man no problem, isn't it all about the trip and not the destination? 

Ted

South Dade Marina is a good choice.  I put out from there last spring and you can't beat the sailboat-friendliness of the place.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

yknot

Where are you starting from?

I live in the Sarasota/Venice area and we have a few great spots here as well...

Rob