a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sails from other boats, etc.

Started by Vipersdad, May 24, 2012, 11:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vipersdad

At the UW Madison Sailing Club it is common during windy conditions to fly a Tech Dingy mainsail loose footed on the spar of their Badger Sloops [Interlakes] with the standard jib.  Their mains for the Badger Sloops do not have reefing points.

This got me wondering if other sails like an Interlake spinnaker would be flyable on a Com-Pac 19 for example.  

I am curious what others may have tried.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Shawn

I bought my asymmetric spinnaker used (like new) and it was sized for a similar boat but not specifically a Compac 23. For my Flying Scot I carried a set of used Snipe sails for high wind.

As far as a spinnaker if you can find a sail with similar dimensions it should be fine. Pay particular attention to the luff length and if you are planning on a spinnaker sock remember that will add some additional length to the luff.

Shawn

capt_nemo

If a sail from another boat REALLY FITS, and does what you want it to do, by all means use it.

Or, you can custom make your own sails out of Dacron, Polytarp, or Nylon like some of us do.

Homemade Light Air Nylon Drifter.

Homemade Light Air Nylon Mainsail.

Homemade Large Orange Drifter from Polytarp.

Homemade self-tending "Working Jib" from Polytarp

It's not that difficult - try it!

capt_nemo

Vipersdad

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

MacGyver

@Nemo

Where do you buy the materials from?
Im thinking about making a spinnaker possibly....... the actual cost of sails ready made is out of my budget for a while for sure and after my wife saw your pictures she agreed that we could indeed make something nice to use seeing what you did. She didnt want me just using the tarp i use on the airconditioner.......

That nylon im guessing is the colorful ones you have?
Also what thread to use, and how do you get the right belly in it?

Thanks, Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

capt_nemo

Mac,

The green and orange Nylon is from Joann Fabrics, purchased with one of my wife's 50% off coupons.

The Polytarp sources are www.tarpaflex.com and www.tarpsplus.com. Tarpaflex had some light weight colored tarps like my large orange Drifter, that perform like Nylon but are less expensive, especially if you are not quite sure of the size and cut of your sail. And, it is easier to cut a sail from a large piece of material than having to piece panels together like I did with the mainsail above. Both sources had medium to heavy weight white and colored tarps. Not all sizes are always available.

The thread is UV coated white Dacron obtained from Sailrite. For your initial attempt you just need to use good Dacron thread like Gutemann (spelling?). I use my wife's old Husqvarna Viking Sewing Machine to sew my sails.

To get the "belly" ,as you call it, into the sail, the easiest way is to cut out the edges with "rounds" (a curved edge) in them. These edges, especially the luff and foot when straightened under tension of halyard and outhaul induce the draft or "belly" into the sail. There are general rules of thumb for the amount of "round" that goes into luff  and foot, and where along the edge the max should be, but try to get a simple "How to" book on sailmaking and read up on it. It is not difficult and can even be a fun project for you and wife to work on together.

Instead of making a Spinnaker, which can be quite expensive and involved, I suggest you consider making a Light Air Drifter out of colored lightweight Polytarp instead, for your first attempt at sailmaking. We all (including myself) need that sweet taste of success to spur us onward to face even greater challenges to our new found skills, patience, and resolve.

However, if your heart is set on a Spinnaker look into Sailrite Spinnaker Kits as an alternative.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and go for it!

capt_nemo