a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Raising System

Started by mike gartland, November 07, 2010, 07:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike gartland

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I am still looking for the "perfect" solution to a 66 year-old geezer fighting a CP23 mast by his lonesome (the Admiral is smart enough to stay far away when I even suggest raising or lowering masts).  I recently came across a reference to a system attributed to Gerry Catha who, at least at one time, sailed a CP23 by the name of Halley's Comet.  Gerry reportedly posted a mast raising system that has been highly recommended.  Does anyone have a link to this post or a contact address for Gerry so that I could contact him for specifics?

Thanks for any help (before I do some real damage....)

Mike

WindRush
Mike23

brackish

I can't help you with your specific request for contact information.  But as a 64 year old geezer with the same problem to solve a variation of this works exceptionally well for me:

http://www.tropicalboating.com/sailing/mastraising.html

You can ignore the part about the elevated mast crutch.  I found that the system would easily raise the mast from the stern rail, however, it is easier if it is elevated about six inches so that the pivot bolt in the mast can be easily installed.  If the mast  sits directly on the stern rail, you have to put a lot of force down on mast base to get the pivot bolt in, fulcrum being the forward edge bump on sliding hatch cover.

Takes me about twenty minutes to set the system up and lift or lower the mast, by myself.  Unlike the example, I don't leave anything attached to the boat (except the bail on the mast).  The baby stays and hoist lines all attach with spring clips.  Total system investment of about $160

The primary modification from the system shown was the base of the gin pole attachment the the mast tabernacle

I have a detailed description of my modified system that I can email.  The file is large due to pictures.

hockeyfool

Hello there,
I can personally tell you that  a mast raising kit can be made by
a regular guy and not expensively either !
It worked great the first time - no need for he-man  strength
or a crew to assist.
See link photos - although I made mine  out of 2" OD pvc
pipe instead of 2"x4" lumber .
I will send pics of my prototype later.
see link - you may have to view pics outside of this forum/website.
http://slowflight.net/upgrades/tips-GinPole.html

maynard

To deal with snagging rigging I've been using the same system that Hockeyfool
links to. Takes most of the stress out of the process of mast raising. Definitely
get a good trailer winch that ratchets both ways. Good Luck

curtisv

The simplest mast raising system is another person and a four part tackle.

The Admiral (Tara) can handle the four part tackle with ease and I just give it the first few shoves up to get the mast raising started.  For our situation, somebody has to drive the truck home and so the Admiral gets that job while I sail to the mooring.  From home we can walk 0.6 mile to the beach by the mooring but Tara will usually drive there anyway.

I use the lumber rack on the pickup truck to get an attachment point high enough and well forward of the bow and that helps.  This also means Tara doesn't have to get on the boat during mast raising.  She just stands in the truck bed and pulls a line that probably has no more than 40-50 lbs on it when the mast is low and much less once its up a little way.

I loosen the shroud turnbuckles and backstay a bit at the end of season and retune after launch.  That helps too.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

mike gartland

Thanks to all the great suggestions.  As with most things I expect I will end up using a combination of the ideas from your posts.  I will work on the fabrication of the system over the next couple of weeks but won't actually be lowering the mast till mid January.  I will post my experience when all is completed.  Thanks again.

Mike
CP-23 WindRush
Mike23

964driver

Mike,

I just happened to run across your post and it took several days to get my membership to the list approved so I could answer.  The system I've come up with for my boat is a single handed affair and when you're done, the entire rig can be held in one hand and thrown in a locker.  A quick review of the method can be see at:   http://www.goodoldboat.com/reader_services/articles/maststepping.php   I'll be glad to help in any way I can with phone calls, photos, etc.  BTW, I can't really take any credit for the system.  I developed it by trial and error, but after I was done I learned that it had been done before.  Oh well, live and learn.  Feel free to contact me.  I have tomorrow off.....every day.(retired).

Bob23

Hey there, 964:
   Welcome to the site! Where do you sail? What do you sail? Why do you sail? Well, we can guess the answer to the last question...we all sail for sanity!
   Thanks for the mast raising info. I've toyed with a similiar system for my 23 and will probably combine a few different good points from each before I "reinvent the wheel".  I like the bridle tensioning system and I suppose low stretch line is a must...old ss rigging wire might be better?
   Again, welcome!
Bob23 in the South of NJ and "Koinonia", 1985 23/2 #321

964driver

Sorry to not respond promptly, sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.  We sail a 1996 CP-23D, Halley's Comet.  When we get to sail, not enough, we're commonly found on the Indian River (ICW) on Florida's East coast around Cocoa.  Short trips are on Lake Monroe, just North of Orlando.  We like the FL. Keys best.

I got an email from Mike Gartland the other day.  He seemed to be pleased with the results of his experience in getting his boat derigged.  I'm glad the system worked for him. 

When I launch there is usually a bunch of guys standing around, whispering among themselves, waiting for the disaster to happen.  In a few minutes, when the mast is up, they walk away shaking their heads.

The rig I currently use is the prototype.  After proving the concept, I planned to duplicate the bridles using small braided cable, but I haven't found the need.  I think you would find old SS rigging cable to be quite an overkill.  That much strength would not be necessary and it would be rather stiff and take up a lot of room to store.  What I'm using can be reduced to the size of a softball.

Thanks for the welcome.  I don't know much, but I'm willing to share what experience I have with the group.  Fair winds.