a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

DIY canvas and sail projects

Started by brackish, April 05, 2011, 08:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Well, on my way down to the Big Easy for a day, Admiral has an event she wants to attend, then over to Biloxi for a few days.  While there, going to go over to Gautier, visit this place to chat with the knowledgeable and buy for some projects.

http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/

Armed with Don Casey's primer on canvas projects and inspired by Salty19, the CPYOA resident expert on unique DIY canvas accessories, I plan to venture into that heretofore uncharted (by me) territory.  Plan to pick up the stuff necessary for an anchor riding sail, a wind scoop, handrail cushions, and some hanging gear pocket bags and some extra Sunbrella just in case I can't help myself.:)

Bob23

Brack:
   I've never sewn anything yet but can attest to the anchor riding sail. I've had one on "Koinonia" for about 4 years now and it reduces swing at anchor or mooring to about half. Easier on the boat and ground tackle...best of luck!
bob23

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on April 05, 2011, 07:51:08 PM
Brack:
   I've never sewn anything yet but can attest to the anchor riding sail. I've had one on "Koinonia" for about 4 years now and it reduces swing at anchor or mooring to about half. Easier on the boat and ground tackle...best of luck!
bob23

Bob, if you can recall, how many and what type of hanks does it have?  Dimensions, luff, leech, foot?  Is yours a 3/4/5 right triangle with the hypotenuse hanked on to the backstay or more of an equilateral?  where do you attach the "sheet"?

Salty19

lol..brack, I am truly no expert on the subject.  Sure, the admiral and I have made a few accessories, but no one would pay good money for the results :)   I bow down to Bob Condon, who makes his own sails!!!

I would suggest making a tiller cover or the lifeline covers first though.  They are easy and good practice for more intricate things (like the cabin bags).   Never read Don's book, but the four things I suggest using for sure are:  pinking shears for cutting sunbrella, fabric chalk for marking cuts, a stapler for pre-attaching fabric before sewing and a denim needle for punching through the thick fabric.

Going to try my hand at a custom bow and cockpit shades/tents this year if time permits. Cabin gets awfully warm!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Brack:
   Here is a photo of Koinonia and her riding sail. It has 4 very heavy duty brass hanks. I don't have the sail here at the house so I can't measure it but I will when I get to it.
   The current riding sails from Banner Bay Marine are different than mine. I bought mine at a nautical flea market for 5 clams.

Oh...here is another! (just Koinonia showin' off again!)

Bob23

brackish

As an update, I did go by Sailmakers Supply in Gautier and found Jean to be very helpful.  She talked me out of some unnecessary expenditures, talked me into some necessary expenditures, gave me an upgrade when she was stocked out of something I needed, and threw in a few freebies and a lot of free advice.  Good place.  Now to drag out that old sewing machine.:)