Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Maxwell Winch

Started by Mundaysj, March 13, 2011, 02:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mundaysj

Hi Guys,
I need to do some maintenance on my winches, but I cannot seem to get the Drive Boss out.  I managed to unscrew the retaining screw but shouldn't the drive boss just lift out?  Also does anyone know where you can buy spare parts.
It is a Maxwell 14... brass... probably the original with the boat and Blond Ambition was made in 1985.  It has been years since the winches had any maintenance done to them.
Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks,
Sherie

skip1930

A= Aluminium, B= Bronze, C= Chrome. MK1= Old.

I had to make a picture to learn what a 'Drive Boss' is. Let me Ctrl + the picture big enough to see so I can figure this out.
The retaining screw is out and just the Drive Boss should be sitting in the assembly.

Once the retainer is out, the Drive Boss is just sitting on the drum. 'Pound UP' at an angle on the top flange of the drum itself.

Or...

I'd say give the winch's drum a good hard wallop from the side with a hard rubber hammer, or wrap the drum in a rag and a lesser wallop with a hammer.
The idea is that a sideways wallop will make the Drive Boss vibrate and jump up out of the recess and then fall back in. The result is a loosened up Drive Boss.
The same way tie rod ends are encouraged to fall out after the nut is removed. [This works better then a pickle fork that is used to wedge them out].

Or...

Place a flat blade screw driver under the bottom of the drum and the winch's base and rotate the blade to prise the drum up. Along with the drum comes the drive boss. That'll get things moving. Protect the fiberglass with a broad base putty knife between the drum's bottom edge and the fiberglass combing. It'a all about spreading out the weight, [force].

Be aware. All these internals are going to fall apart in your hand when the drum lifts. Keep track of what's up, what's down, and what goes where. You'll see the ware patterns on the moving parts and that will aid in reassembly. Worn parts can sometimes be turned up side down for a fresh ware side.

I guess the winch is still on the boat and can't be turned up-side down, and tapped from the bottom.

Or put an expanding pliers/vice grip into the winch handle receiver and lift out the Drive Boss.
As far as I can ascertain their is nothing but old gelatinous grease from keeping that Drive Boss from being lifted out. Try some heat from a hair dryer to soften up things. I don't think any paws are in the way. Can't tell.

Wood. Take a round dowel or square piece of wood that all most fits into the winch handle receiver and tap gently it into the hole. Lift up. I mean the wood is softer then the metal and would wedge in to the hole very nicely.

"Gotta Come Off . Says So In The Book". Your tougher then it is.

skip.

Potcake boy

Sherie,

I tried to find parts for a Maxwell for a friend's boat, but ran into a dead end.  As I remember the original company ceased production of winches and it was then carried by a company in Australia for a while but they have abandoned the ship as well.  I think you may find some complete units as used in some of the second hand marine stores like www.baconsails.com , or Ebay.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Bob23

Sherie:
  Koinoina has Andersen Stainless Steel winches which were installed by some previous owner with deep pockets. When I serviced them, they fought me a bit just as yours are fighting you. You can do it...maybe take some pictures with a digital camera as you disassemble...makes reassembling a little easier.
  I won't repeat what Skip is telling you...he's got the bases covered!
  You are living proof that blondes can service Compacs! Besides, where did all that blonde stuff originate? Marilyn maybe?
Bob23

Mundaysj

Thank You Skip, Ron, and Bob,
I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.  I have been warned about the parts flying everywhere once you get the boss out... maybe a hairnet is called for.  :o)
Cheers,
Sherie

Tim Gardner

Sherrie,

I took an old sheet, slit one side to surround the winch and clipped it to my lifeline and taped it to the cockpit combing to prevent the flying parts from going into the drink, none did,  Once i cleaned everything up, all I needed were two pawl springs.  Found similar force and size springs at Lowe's.

tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.