a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Preventer on a 16

Started by Timwp, March 02, 2011, 05:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timwp

I posted somewhere else on a conversation but decided to open up one on my own. I had an experience going wing and wing on my cp16 that I had an accidental jibe. At the time it felt like fun, but now I realize it could have been dangerous. Can anyone tell me how to rig a preventer on cp16?

capt_nemo

Tim,

Just happened to check this Forum - I have a Sun Cat and am not too familiar with the 16, but I am with Preventers. Can't believe no one has offered to help you.

If you have a boom vang detach it from the base of the mast and take it to the working boom side and attach it to the base of a stanchion if available or a midship cleat to serve as a preventer. Attach it as far forward on the working side as possible to achieve a good downward and forward pull on the boom. Might even consider the shroud chainplate/turnbuckle. OR you can take a line attached to the underside of the boom, lead it to the foredeck and through a block attached to the chainplate/turnbuckle, bow cleat, pulpit base or wherever a relatively strong point is and then back to the cockpit where you can tie it off somewhere once tensioned. The stern cleat would suffice if no other quick release stopper were available. For gybing or tacking downwind use two lines, one for each side, rigged as described above for quick change Preventers. Make sure to remember to release  the working Preventer line prior to executing a "Controlled Gybe" and setting the opposite side Preventer. The two line method is easier to use since you don't have to go forward to release the vang and then reattach it on the other side. Good luck and fair winds.

capt_nemo

Tim Gardner

Hey Tim,

Read this article:
http://www.wwpotterowners.com/JohnTurpin1.html

I use this exact system on my 19 when needed.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Allure2sail

Hi:
Very interesting article on the boom brake. I've wanted to put a preventer or a brake on the boom for awhile. Do you think this would work on a 27/2 or am I pushing the limits of that aluminum figure "8" descender. I would of course use a heavier line and blocks, not sure if I would use cam cleats as pictured because of the loads. Sure beat the heck out of the price of the ones that are out there.
Thanks for any input.
Bruce
S/V Allure
1987 27/2

KPL

Thanks for the link on the Boom Brake.  I really like that idea.  I will definitely put it on the to-do list.  Simple and relatively cheap.

Kevin

Tim Gardner

The descender I have would pull the bail out of the boom before it broke.  I also use a block on my lifeline first stanchions aft of the bow pulpit.  I then run the preventer line aft to fixed cleats that are attached forward of the winches.  Most 19's do not have these cleats (mine were added by the PO, I think).  A second wrap through the large eye by each end of the line increases the friction dramatically.  It is overkill on my 19, I use the single friction wrap as shown in JT's photo.

BTW I have searched high & low for a photo of mine in use - can't find one.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Smitty

Interesting article and a simple but effective idea.  Shame he lost that boat in the 2009 Texas 200.