a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boomkicker

Started by tmorgan, February 16, 2011, 11:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim22

You could look at a rigid or hydraulic  boom vang to take the weight of the boom. It won't, however, replace the lazy jacks.

Tim

capt_nemo

Thanks Tim, I was thinking along the lines of a rigid rod, strong enough to support the weight of boom and mainsail, fixed under the boom, with other end able to swing at the base of the mast on something like a (fixed)gooseneck to follow the boom wherever it goes.

Don't need to worry at all about Lazy Jacks. My NO CLEATS and NO BLOCKS combination fixed line and two leg continuous loop Bungee Cord Lazy Jacks are so simple and inexpensive yet very effective. They stay near the base of the mast out of the sail's way (no chafe) until needed. Then I deploy them by hand when needed for those few minutes when I need to control the large mainsail (and gaff) coming down onto the boom. They can then stay in position until I cover mainsail and lower mast at the ramp, at which time I capture them along with all the other lines at the mast with the long pin for travel. They can even be deployed to capture that Light Air Mainsail which got me started on this Boomkicker Thread.

Tom Ray

Will your light air sail use the gaff boom? The regular mainsail is attached to it via bolt rope. Kind of a pain to switch, it would seem.

capt_nemo

Tom,

No - I'm not a glutton for punishment!