Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Help/info needed!

Started by Bob23, September 15, 2007, 06:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

To all you  27 ers out there:
   I presently own a 1985 23/2 but am going to look at a 1986 27 for sale. What should I be looking for in terms of problem areas? Have any of you made the 23 to 27 jump? Were you glad you did?
   Thanks in advance! Bob

spaul

Hey Bob,
All boats are a compromise of one kind or another. I've had many sized boats and sailboats, all were different in their own way. I went directly from a very traierable but not so comfortabl Mac 26S with water ballast to a very, very comfortable cp 27/2 that is barely trailerable.
It's my opinion you should look at how you use your sailboat. If you're going to moor it and perhaps take it out each Fall then you'll love the upgrade. If you're going to want to move it around, then don't do it. Or, if you're nuts keep two :)
Hope you understand what I'm proposing  because both are great boats. I'm sure the handling is quite different between the two, the 27 being a little less nimble but a very great sailing boat with plenty of moving around room, head room and throne room. We love staying on our 27 where the Mac 26 was a little squat for us, we're in our 60's now and try to avoid the sloop stoop. I actually wish I'd kept the Mac for short vacations, that kind of thing since our lake is landlocked. The only reason I say it's barely trailerable is the size ( I use a Suburban for towing it easily) and the difficulty in raising and lowering the mast when away from our marina. We have a gin pole that makes mast work a breeze, and it's free to members.
More questions, shoot 'em at us.
Steve Paul
cp27/2 "IM PAUL SIVE"

Bob23

Steve:
   Thanks for the info. I called the owner today and told him I couldn't buy it. Well, I could have and it sure was a great deal on a clean boat with many upgrades and extras. But, I love my 23 and can't keep 'em both. Who knows....I may change my mind.
   Down here in NJ on the Barnegat and Manahakwin Bays, the water is quite thin. I would need to keep the 27 in a marina and that means $$. I've been spoiled so far...the 23 is moored free and I get to look at her every day before and after work.
   I don't trailer my boats around so that's not a factor. I would like to do some coastal cruising some time and the 27 seems to be well suited. Gee...the 23 could do that too but not as much room. Standing headroom is nice when long distances are the norm.
   Thanks again for your help...I'll keep you posted if any new developements.
   Bob 23 in "Koinonia"

bmiller

Hi Bob,
I was in a similar situation a few months ago. We had a hunter 23, not nearly as much boat as yours. Got real tired of always being cramped. So we went looking for the biggest trailerable we could find. One day our 27 just happen to come available in Colorado. One look and we were sold.
We keep her moored for the summer on Dillon res. Our first long trip is scheduled for October to souther Cal.
After sailing on it for the last few months here are my thoughts. The 27 is a fantastic platform for two people to sail and be comfortable. Although there have been a few days when I go out to single hand that I miss the little 23, not that the 27 can't be single handed. The previous owner fixed some leaks at the hull/deck joint, look there. I will need to rebed the handrails mounted on the cabin top, they leak. The bomar hatches are original and need repaired or replaced, they leak quite a bit. The previous owner also repaired blisters on the hull. Forunately for me he was a very honest guy for telling me and did a very good. I added a marine head, the boat had a porta-potti. In the galley the po also installed a propane cooktop with the tank under the helm seat. I would have done excatly what he already did.
IfI had to do it all over again I would not hesitate, the 27 is a great boat.
Good luck, if you do buy the 27 you won't be disappointed.
Bill

Bob23

I have finally made up my mind and decided to keep the 23. She's a beauty and perfectly fits my current needs and wants.
If anyone is looking for a great deal on a nice 27, write back...I'll forward the owners phone number.
Cheers! Bob 23 in "Koinonia"

Craig Weis

Well my dog's vet started with a 20 foot homebuilt cat boat that was put up for raffle at the Door County Maritime museum, then purchased a Capri 18, then a Com-Pac 27, and finally a 23' Storehorse name Sea Horse. He loves the Stonehorse best. skip.

tpgil4

Hi,
I am looking at moving up to a 27. Where is the one you mentioned located at? Is it on the east coast?
Thanks.
Terry

DH

Check out Geraldine Mueller's boat. I know she has taken great care of it. She posted a little lower down on the list.

Bob23

Terry:
   Don't know if still for sale...contact Bob Benson  (973) 670-1450.
   Bob23