Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cabin sole removal?

Started by spaul, January 05, 2005, 09:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaul

Two things come to mind this rainy day.
1. I need to change the 27/2 note site to a new date so I'm writing today looking for 27/2 owners.
2. I know we have Margie on the site now and I had an email from a great 27/2 owner asking if I knew how to get the floor up. I believe in his 88 model and in my 92 model the floor is glued down. Does anyone else have knowledge here to help?
My suggestions were to warm the boat and use a wide putty knife or pry piece. Then carefully apply pressure to gently remove the floor. My floor is fine, the other cp owner may have odors or a need to pull the floor.
Suggestions welcome since I'm concerned that attempting to remove one's floor may result in considerable damage to the floor piece and surround GRP flooring.
Curious as heck
Steve Paul
cp27/2
Nashville, IN

PHOENIXCP27

I to have a problem removing the floor.  Any help in this would be appreciated.  I attempted a couple times to pry it up, but gave up in fear of causing damage.  I have been pretty nervous about what I may find.  

Any tips out there?

Thanks,
Joe Bondi

spaul

Joe, is there a reason you're nervous about what's below the floor? I looked at mine and said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Just wondering what's up there. If it's odor then I think it's possible to wash the bilge without removing the floor. If Margie is on line sometime perhaps she would comment on this floor thing and how to clean the bilge without removing this part of the cabin sole.
Steve

CaptK

I'm just tossing out a guess, but if the soles are stuck down using an adhesive, heat may help you get them up easier. I'm not saying to point a torch with fantip on it at your pretty teak and holly :), maybe just close the boat up with a heater inside (anything other than catalytic or electric - beware CO and CO2 poisoning!) long enough to warm it up above 80* in there, and let the heat get down into the boards and the adhesive.

Or maybe a hairdryer. :)

Good luck, guys!
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

PHOENIXCP27

Not sure what I am worried about, it may be just the unknown that scares me.  I would prefer to have access to the bilges, especially where water may sit, on a regular basis.  I have never had excess water in the bilges, but I do remove the small amount of water from shaft leakage on a regular basis.  

I no longer have an odor problem on the boat since I started using an airpurifier/ozonater onboard.  It also assists on limiting moisture and keeping mildew to a min.  

Joe

spaul

Have you ever  been "the head mistress" web site? THis gal publishes a book on boat odors that is terrific. Recommends to clean those areas with several different products. Vinegar is one of them to keep odors and mildew down. I too stood there and thought I'd like to see what's down there. Since I found out it's glued down I lost interest. As for the leakage from the prop seal have you tightened the nut just a little? Yes I have the same leakage and it's necessary.
I bought Nigel Caulder's book "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" off the net used for like 25 bucks. I highly recommend it, it simplifies through word and pictures many of the issues I thought I understood. It's worth the money, will give you some anxiety relief and is a pretty good read when bored.
Steve

Steve W.

In the 86' model the boards are screew down(wood caps over the screew). The plywood was comming apart and I had to replace. Under the board is the fiberglass liner and if you could look under the fiber glass you would see about 1 inch gap between the fiber glass liner and the top of the keel. water will run from aft of the water tank to the bildge at the steps.

spaul

I think I'll use a borescope if I need to look around. As Kurt says my pretty holly and teak floor is pretty nice, hate to damage it just for a look.
It's good your floor is screwed down, shoud be easier putting her back in shape if you need to.
I was dis-masted this past Spring in a tornado so I know how inside work can be a pita. I had to remove the v-berth sidewalls and replace the bow rail and pulpit. I will say doing that in July wasn't a lot of fun, just hot. It looks good though thanks to Hutchins.
Steve

Connie Meadows

I discussed with Compac because I too was curious and looking for a place to put a back up bilge pump.  The floorboard is glued down, not supposed to come up and there is only about 1 inch of space below it.
Hope this helps.

Steve W.

There is no space below the floor board it is on the hull liner and the hull  is about 1" below the hull liner.

Steve W.

There is no space below the floor board as it is on the hull liner and the hull liner is about 1" above hull