a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Nice CP19XL for sale

Started by Salty19, January 21, 2011, 03:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Not mine and do not know the boat, just posting for others to see.
Looks real nice. 

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/19370

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

seems a bit steep to me, but very nice!

Were do they sell those glass hatches? Mine is the original fiberglass and the previous owner cut a hole in it and added a solar powered vent, besides the 2" of calk, and cracked solar panel......i guess it doesn't look that bad. Seriously I would love to replace it w/ a glass one.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

The lexan hatch in the ad is standard on the XL, mine is the same.

The forward deck looks to be molded differently on XL vs early models. Does the fiberglass hatch look bigger to you?
Could be just a trick of the eye but the pic of the XL looks smaller than early hatches. I know the anti-skid pattern was changed, perhaps the new hatch was integrated at that time??

Pricewise, at one point I couldn't believe how expensive some of the 19's are either.  But you get what you pay for; also the later XL's with all the equipment are numbered to about 45 boats, or thereabouts so they are rare.

But I gotta say if someone offered $15K for Island Time, I would not accept the offer!

Billy

I'm not sure about size difference but mine has a pretty high lip that the fiberglass hatch fits over to keep water out. There is no seal just good ole overlapping to keep the water out. I do think the fiberglass hatch is a bit larger, plus it is molded into the deck. I'm not sure a lexan hatch would look right now that you mention it.

It's hard to tell from this pic but you can see where the hinges are, that portion of the deck is raised flush with the top of hatch, and the pic w/ the new glass hatch seems to go down aft of the hatch. I'm not sure it would work.

I only paid $2,500 for my 19 (hull # 37) w/ a trailer and a motor and I wouldn't even think about selling her for 5 times that (even though I probably put more into her than that). It would have to be an offer I would be foolish not to accept. But we are on the same page, these boats are priceless!!!

botelerr

Billy, are you able to sail with the bimini up? Rob

Billy

yes

Actually you have even MORE clearence under sail,
1. as the boom goes to the leward side the sail cups and actually raises

2. I have the topplinglift just short enough for it to clear when the main is down, and slack when the main is up, so the boom raises a bit when under sail also.

However, Because of the mainsheet angle you have to move the bimini forward (it's on a track). You cannot see the luff of the main, and only the foot of the jib, unless you have a tiller extension and sitting forward. When you're sitting at the helm it is farther forward and you're not under it. I do stand up a lot at the helm and look over the bimni soumetimes.

I think a longer boom would help alot allowing the mainsheet to have a steeper angle closer to the stern though.

botelerr

OK, now another question. The eyelets with the jib sheet running through? I do not have these on my 1984,, did you add them? Rob

Billy

I didn't add them, and mines an '83. Maybe a previous owner did. I always called them Padeyes.
I noticed Salty's boat has them too and the boat for sell at the top of this thread does too.

botelerr

OK , so how much do I know. I looked a pics of my 84 and you guessed it, there they are,, I have never used them.. ahh spring a new configuration..Rob

Billy

Quote from: botelerr on January 23, 2011, 12:13:47 PM
OK , so how much do I know. I looked a pics of my 84 and you guessed it, there they are,, I have never used them.. ahh spring a new configuration..Rob

funny!

Salty19

Billy, yea, I don't think the hatch would retrofit without some glass work.  Com-pac would probably know as would the sailing company.

Looks like the lexan hatch is indeed smaller.  While the hatch does IMO look better, the fiberglass hatch seems more functional to store headsails easier.   I could stuff a jib down the lexan hatch but a genoa would be tight, especially when there is little time to roll it up.

Billy

good point,
Gotta a question for you, whats in the bad at the base of your mast? been wondering about that for a while now.

Salty19

It's just an old halyard leading to the mast head, the extra length is folded into the bag.  It's to raise the mast-my boat did not have cleats on the mast (for the halyard raising trick) so I went with this as a quick last-minute fix.  The bag was made simply because I had extra sunbrella and wanted a little sewing practice, not to mention keeping things tidy (to not trip over it).

This coming season it will be removed as I've added a cleat to use the main halyard attached to the base of the mast.

brackish

Quote from: Salty19 on February 23, 2011, 10:14:14 AM
<snip>
I had extra sunbrella and wanted a little sewing practice......<snip>

Lot's of nice sewn sunbrella accessories.  Are you self taught with the sewing machine?  Got the machine and the desire to learn, not quite sure how to get started.

Salty19

Pretty much...had sewing back in 7th grade, but generally speaking reading the manual on how to setup the machine along with a few minutes of practice did the trick.  Admittedly I'm not anywhere near close to being good at it, but simple items are actually pretty easy once you've played around with test fabric for a few mins.  Give it a try...it's pretty easy.  Use a denim needle and good UV thread.