a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What are these doodads?

Started by buckaroo, February 28, 2011, 10:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckaroo

There are some pieces of hardware on my newly-acquired CP16 that I don't know the function of.  They may be useful for something, but until I know what they are all I see are holes in my hull, and potential leaks.  Can someone illuminate me?  They're both in this photo (please excuse the state of the boat, the weather's been too cold and miserable to have a clean-up party):

What's the little bracket midway up the coaming?  I mean, I know it's meant for some kind of line, but I really can't what the line would be useful for, as it doesn't like it would be weight-bearing.  These things are spaced at regular intervals all around the boat, and the screws are rusting in most of them.  I'm thinking of removing them enitirely and filling the holes. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Also, directly under the bracket is a track.  At first I thought it might be related to the genoa track on the top of the coaming, but the car in this smaller track slides freely, and I have no idea what it's for.  Plus, it's pretty unsightly, as the aluminum at the screwdown ends is pitting like crazy.

So, what are these doodads?  Do I need them?

carry-on

Did the boat have a bimini? Could be a slide track for a bimini and the fitting would be a place to secure the bimini strap.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

buckaroo

It may have had one at one time, but if it did it's long gone.  The slide may well be for a bimini (that makes a lot of sense), but the fittings are all around the circumference of the boat, so I doubt that's their function.

crazycarl

i concure, the track looks like it's for a bimini top.  you say the eyelets go around the boat?  perhaps they are there to fasten down a cover?  if they're no use to you,  i would remove them.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Salty19

I agree with carl, those are probably tie downs for a cover.    Those screws might be a bear to remove with all the rust!
You could leave a few on after replacing the bolts to attach fenders near the fat portion of the hull.  Or not...

BTW, a couple of days of hard work...wet sanding with sequenced 800-200 grit, compounding, glaze and wax will bring the color back to the hull.  Looks very oxidized. Mine didn't look that bad, but still was not pretty.  Check out my pics in the my sig for Island Time..yes it can look new again if you spend the time and do it right. I think there is a before pic in there somewhere for comparison.

And, yep, that track is almost certainly for a bimini but is missing the hardware that links the top with the hardware.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

buckaroo

All right, I'm convinced.  Off they come!  

@Salty19 -- I'm thinking I might even try to strip the hull to the gelcoat, as a previous owner just slopped the paint on, and there are runs and drips all over the scupper holes and the rudder mount.  I don't know what he was thinking.  Probably will have to wait until after this season, though.  I just want to get her into the water!

Salty19

Buck-

If that is paint, ignore my advice.  I thought it was colored gelcoat.   Not sure how to deal with removing paint..suppose it depends on what type of paint it is.   I hear you on putting it off as sailing the boat is more of a priority than a pretty hull. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603