a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

compass and depth sounder gauge

Started by Chuck, February 04, 2011, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck

Hi, Chuck here.  I have looked at some pictures of /23 cockpits and have an idea of where I would like to mount my compass and small uniden depth gauge, but am always open to new ideas before boring holes in my boat.  The port side is where all my limnes come back and the previous owner put a glue on line holder beside the companionway.  The compass would be mounted on the starboard side beside the companionway.  From what I see, everyone ha their own idea of how high on the cabin wall to mount, and I wonder what electrical interference the depth sounder might cause.  My radio hangs on the starboard cabin roof by the companionway now, but may have to be moved to the shelf above where the sink comes out.  Like I say, I would like any information or ideas out there.  It's way too cold to work on this right now, so am just scouting.  Thanks, Chuck

curtisv

The compass can be very sensitive to electrical signals, magnets, and even anything made of metal very nearby.

Keep everything electronic and all wiring far away from the compass.  That would mean moving your VHF to the port side and if possible back a ways.

Try to run wires two feet away or more from the compass.

The worst is audio system speakers because they have big magnets.  Keep them as far away as you can if you have any speakers.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access