Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Newbie questions

Started by phoran, April 29, 2005, 12:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoran

Greetings,
I'm shopping for a CP23, and i found one that needs some TLC in Kentucky.  The shop deals only in motorboats, so they will not be any help with rigging, etc.  if you could let me know what to look for when i survey the boat, that would be great. it is a 1981, and the design doesn't seem to have anything hidden to look out for.  afer reading through the posts, it looks like i'll need a 8-9 horse outboard.  are these boats set up for remote controls on the outboard, or just the regular tiller?  i'm sure i'll have many more questions, after i drag her home.  BTW, 3500 for boat, sails and trailer seems pretty reasonable, no?

Craig Weis

Of course one normally does not do any of this stuff until after they purchase the boat, however, just for talking sake...

...$3500 for boat, sails, trailer sounds reasonible for a boat that is 24 years old and 23 foot long. How is the inside of the cabin? Not that a lot of time is spent down below deck, but it's nice if it is clean and picked-up. I have a post in the '19's' listing items to look for in used hull, rigging and canvas. Figure a $ grand + for the motor and fuel tank.

Basically look for stress cracks where ever something is attached to the hull. Chain plates, motor mounts, swim ladder, mast step, and aft 'anchor points for standing rigging, cockpit sole, hinge points...well you get the idea. Usually the drop board is junque. Check for impact 'stars' in the gel-coat of the hull. Look for patch work in the glass. Any missing wood?

It's a pain but go through the trouble of inspecting the mast/boom. Sight down these 'sticks' and see if these appear to be straight. Look at the attachement points for standing rigging, spreaders, and pulley action at the mast head. Shoot her with some Harken Dry Slide. Check the wiring through the mast to the steaming lite, and if equiped an anchor lite with a 12 volt battery charger before you stick the stick up. Any other ancillary equipment on the mast? I found a mouse nest inside my mast. Flushed it out with the water hose in my back yard. Radar reflector?

With this many years on her, I'd be suspect of any and all lines. Just replace them, one always could use additional lines for general use.

I towed a 36 foot sail boat 'home' in the evening/dark that was disabled with a sick diesel and no wind. I used extra line to make my tow rope that I had onboard my Com-Pac 19 and pulled her with my 5 hp Mercury.

Funny thing was I only draw two foot and forgot he was nearly down 6 foot so I didn't think about 'cutting the cornor' around a nun and nearly ran him aground. Opps! On the radio he said he was watching the depth guage with a heavy eye. Also give the running blocks a good look~see for ware.  

What do you mean 'remote'? They make them. Controls for outboards. They seam unsightly and in the way when hung on the tiller. I like a clean tiller. Even put my Foremost tiller ball/socket and tiller connection thing on the underside of the tiller. Just for looks.

Let us know how you do. "Bon Chance" skip

phoran

Thanks.  I'm going down to pick the boat up on Mother's day.  i think i'm going with the Tohatsu 8hp outboard, and i am prepared for a lot of elbow grease!  in the past i've had good luck with vc-17 for the bottom paint, i'll probably put that on.  i just hope the topsides can be refreshed with a good polishing.  maybe next year i'll paint her.  this boat has roller furling, i'm not sure of the type.  i am interested in a cruising spinnaker, haven't seen much discussion about them on the site.