a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

new rub rail replacement

Started by hockeyfool, June 29, 2011, 08:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

Can someone tell me how to attach the factory replacement rubber rud rail ?
Cut in 2 pieces , attach each from stern to bow ? Wrap around corners ? Any ideas ?

wes

I'll be doing mine this weekend. I asked Gerry Hutchins for advice, and here's what he told me - this is how they do it at the factory.

Wes – start at the bow and work around the boat, bow to transom, across transom, transom to bow but cut it at each corner.  V shaped notches I think would make it difficult.  So, it goes like this

Screw one end of rubrail to bow
Put on one side and at the transom put a foot up on the transom and stretch it
Put a screw in it and cut
On the same corner put the rubrail on the transom corner and install the corner cap to hold both ends
Put on across transom an stretch
Put screw in on other side of transom and cut
On the same corner put the rubrail on the transom corner and install the corner cap to hold both ends
Put on the side and stretch when you get to the bow put in a screw or clamp, cut it and then install the bow cap

I'll let you know how it goes if you'll do the same.

- Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

skip1930

On my CP-19 the factory used double sticky sided tape pushed into the U~channel of the rubber rub rail. And at the corners [ one vee at the bow, and two almost 90 deg.'s at the stern ] metal corner caps, mitered to size and shape are attached mechanically. Read screws and nuts.

Deck to hull flange is pop riveted together with 'goop' between. Probably 3-M 5200. ??

skip.