a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Pictures of my new 1976 compac 16

Started by mattt6511, January 03, 2011, 06:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattt6511

here is a few pictures of the compac 16 i just purchased. I was going to take her out the other day but i didnt feel safe sailing alone with what little sailing knowledge i have, and not knowing how to rig the boat, aside from the fact that my gf was with me and she started to panic just from coming aboard and it keeling to the side hah, so i just went aboard took a few pictures and started the outboard engine. If anyone lives near dunedin florida and can show me the basics on the boat even if you only take me out on it for 30 minutes i would be thrilled! I can pay gas money and pick up lunch to bring also. Please please just let me know!! My schedule is pretty open and i would be able to go out almost any day as long as the weather permits. Anyways im rambling along like always! Here is the link to the pictures i took! Matt
http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/mattt6511/

ps they were take at low tide and from my weight and my gfs it pushed the back into the sand thats why the bow is sticking up off the water.

mattt6511

My plans with this boat is im going to put a electrical system inside there with a 40 watt solar system, a dc panel, just enough to power the anchor lights and the navigation lights. Im also building a new companionway with a built in vent to prevent anymore mold underneath the old companionway is trashed its rotting away. Then im going to put some work into the outboard it has a fuel leak i cant see where its coming from but fuel leaks from the bottom of the engine and causes it to cut out after some time.. Im sure there are tons of other things i need to do to her but these are just some ideas i had as of now!!

GlennB724

Congrats!!  Nice boat.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it and learn a lot.  Just remember, safety first!  You know what they say about boats, right???  They are bottomless holes in the water into which you throw your money!!!  LOL  The nice thing about small boats is they are smaller holes ... so, less money.  LOL

Billy

I live in Palm Harbor and I am pretty flexable too. This Friday I am busy but maybe Sat or Sun. I currently own a CP-19 and had a 16 for a little while too. Right now my 19 is on Lake Tarpon I would be happy to take you (or any Com-Pac fan) out also.

I'm ASA certified for BKB101, BCC103, BBC104, NAV105, and instructor certified for 201 & 203. I would be more than happy to go out with you anytime, no charge!

Let me know,

Billy
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

mattt6511

Billy that would be great! I would be able to go this weekened just let me know what day works better for you! Would you want to go on my boat or yours? Thank you!! Matt

Billy

Matt,
How does Sat. sound? Anytime works for me. If you want to call me my # is (727) 512-8895.

The weather is supposed to be ok, 61 for the high. A bit chilly and winds around 8 mph

The forcast for Sunday is about 10 degrees warmer if you would rather go Sunday. Only thing is I will only be able to go out about 2 to 3 hours in the afternoon, after 2 pm. And there will be a little less wind.

We can take either boat. My 19 is rigged and ready to go, it's just on the lake. But I bet you are itching to get out on your boat. Either boat works for me. Check the tides and see if you will be able to get your boat out.

Looking forward to meeting a fellow com-pac-er. Who knows, we may have so much fun Sat. we go Sun. too!!!!!!!

mattt6511

Billy,
Saturday would be great! I saved your phone number in my cell, my number is (201) 446-3426 its my old nj number, you can call or text message me either works. High tide in dunedin is around 2pm on saturday, so if you wanted to take my boat it would probably be best to leave around 1:30-2:30 and that would give us some time. The only downside to my boat is its in about almost knee deep of water so if we do take my boat you either have to roll up your pants or wear shorts, ill bring a towel to bring onboard. I know its cold out so if you would rather not thats ok with me too and just take your 19' It would be great to learn how mine sails, heck that is if it even sails, but either one is fine, we can take yours out on sunday, hah just kidding. Im warning you im a complete novice hah, i have read some books my favorite is sailing for dummies!! :-) I used to go out years and years ago on my friends 42' catallina in nantucket but honestly thats not even sailing you didnt really have to do much of anything on that boat at all. But im a good listener and ill do whatever i have too. There is a great Irish place called O'keefes in clearwater i will pick us up some lunch to bring aboard, they make a excelent pastrami or corned beef or reuben sandwich!

kickingbug1

wish this guy lived near me, ill do anything for a free lunch maybe even sail all day long
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Billy

I don't mind getting a little wet. I'll be sure to bring my sandles and shorts!

One thing that I keep on my boat (instead of a towel) is a shami. A Wal-mart version of the "Sham Wow" called the "Absorber". it works great and I just rinse it off when I'm done and it's good to go for next time. No washing and takes up a lot less space. When we do plan on swiming we use the shami to dry off and the towels to keep warm. Cause once you use a towel it really doesn't work again for the rest of the day.

Yea, lets try your boat 1st and if for any reason we can't sail it we'll go out on mine. They are set up just the same as far as rigging goes. I'll call you this week and I'm looking forward to it!

PS don't worry about the food, going sailing is good enough for me! I usually tell people when I take them out, "you pay for the beer, I'll pay for the gas!"