a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailing Horizon Cat

Started by dplxx, January 16, 2005, 08:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dplxx

I have sailed the HC for 2 seasons now in Long Island Sound. I have hull #3. She is a very stable boat but not very responsive in light wind. Has anyone added a jib in these light wind situations? I know this is heresy, but I just needed to ask.

dplxx

Craig Weis

Wind is hp. My sails on my C-P 19 equal the hull speed of my 5 hp Mercury in a good blow. About 4.6 to 5.4 knots, as SOG.

The cat typically has one huge pile of canvas hanging out there. I never saw a jib on a cat boat, would need a hell of a bow sprit and dolphin cable. Maybe whiskers too.

Light wind, no wind.....equals no go. You have time to spare don't you?

willisp

The HC will respond in light air. You need to let the gaff down a little and then let the boom out some.  It's not like sailing a sloop.  With no wind I start the engine and she will move along at 6 to 7 knots.  I have 2003 hull # 15

Craig Weis

In deed son 6.5 knots!!, a fine boat she is!
I will say this about the HC. I really like how Com-Pac has
done away with the centerboard trunk in the cabin
soul. That's very nice.

Read the history of the cat boat found elsewhere on this forum. A rewrite from 1933.
skip.

John6R

How is the HC in 15+ knots with a chop. During the afternoons in the summer this is a frequent condition on Narragansett bay. In my 1300lb center board sloop I am usually under main alone and the tiller keeps me busy with the following sea. My wife is tolerant but not happy under these conditions. I was hoping that the beamy, Heavier HC would be more comfortable in these conditions even though she has the about same waterline length.

kobo

John,

I have been sailing all my life in all kinds of boats. The Horizon Cat is one of the most stable boats I have ever sailed on. She sails well in 15 to 20 knots without reefing. If you reef she will still do quite well in 25 knots. My wife loves to sail but she does want to be comfortable. I have never had a wet ride sail on my Horizon. You should check them out. Very beamy, very large cockpit, very stable, very forgiving. Plenty of sitting headroom below and quite comfortable to sleep on.

sun17cat

I almost bought the Horizon instead of the SunCat and in hindsight wish I would have. The main reason was my towing vehicle was only rated for 2,000 lbs. I also was torn between the outboard version and the diesel. Both have advantages. What do some owners think as I still may make the trade to the Horizon.

Jim

kobo

In regards to the Diesel or outboard. I bought mine with the Diesel. I love it. Some say they are loud. I do not find that to be true. Some say they heat upthe cabin area. Even in July heat on the Gulf Coast it was no problem. The power is very good in forward and reverse. It will stop the boat in a very short space. The extra weight also helps the Horizon Cat to be more stable. I am glad to never have to reach over the transom and start, shift or raise up an outboard. The 1 HP Yanmar will go 200 miles on 7 gals of Diesel. If you purchase the Horizon Cat then I would obviously reccomend the inboard as oppose to the outboard.

kobo

In regards to my last post. I meant 9 HP yanmar not 1 HP. Sorry about that. They do not make a 1 Hp diesel.

Potcake boy

Quote from: dplxx on January 16, 2005, 08:26:12 PM
I have sailed the HC for 2 seasons now in Long Island Sound. I have hull #3. She is a very stable boat but not very responsive in light wind. Has anyone added a jib in these light wind situations? I know this is heresy, but I just needed to ask.

dplxx

You may also wish to examine the possibility of using a cruising spinnaker with a very short foot and a flattish cut.  Can be a big boost on a beam reach in light air and a good offset to weather helm when running. Depending on the cut it could also be used upwind to a close reach.  Also, the rigging and controls will be less imposing and trim less critical.  The open nature of the luff will put the sail farther out into the wind than a hanked on sail and you can used fixd sheeting points instead of tracks and turning blocks.

Keep us posted,
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

harrys

I have only sailed my HC for one seemingly short season.  I have just sailed sloops in the past so  I am looking for some good trimming advice for my HC.  I read somewhere that it is an easy boat to sail but a hard one to sail well.  I think I could get more out of adjusting that upper boom.  Just not sure how to use it to best advantage.  Any hints?

Tim Gardner

Harry S -

Go here: http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/ for tips first.  Click on "catboat" under Sailing School at the bottom left of the page.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

harrys

Thanks for the link.  A very good start.

capt_nemo

dplxx (original poster),

Yes, I made a 38 square foot nylon Drifter which I set flying on my Sun Cat and it made a big difference in light air performance.

I'm in the process of making a light air nylon mainsail to really catch the air and will try it solo and with the nylon Drifter.

Future plans include design and fabrication of a bowsprit to fly a larger Drifter, or perhaps an asymetrical spinnaker

Since photos are worth a thousand words, I've provide a few below.

Here's "Frisky" in light air moving with a "bone in her teeth".

And here she is with a little more wind on a close reach.