a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Starting to dive into a cp16

Started by mhallas, March 31, 2005, 08:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhallas

hey all, am new owner of a '76 CP16 (#255). I am about to start going through it, and have a

few questions....

-The most ambitous project is fiberglassing the keel fin, it looks pretty beat up on the

very bottom and front. There was a little water belowdecks when it arrived, and there was a

few drips of water coming from the cracks in the keel fin. could this water have come from

that far above?

-I'd like to find some literature on the shoreliner trailer, ie adjusting the rollers,

boards, etc. on that note, more literature such as owners manual, original equipment

specifications, etc.

-The sails appear to be in good shape, no fraying and the stitches seem tight. The previous

onwer had left the sails in a basement "for a few months" and there is a a slight mildew

around the edges.  Is there a way to clean this off without harming the fabric?

-the edges around the hatch opening are delaminating, I was thinking of epoxying and

clamping it, should work (?)

-some of the later models have a small bulkhead in the fore part of the cabin, does anyone

have a pattern for this?

-The beach across the street from me is also a public boat launch, has anyone had any luck

launching from one, or do I need to find a steep concrete jobby?

well, thats all I can think of right now, hopefully soon Ill be boppin around gloucester and

Cape Ann.

Matt Hallas[/img]

Craig Weis

mhallis, Depends on what you think you can do.

First under 19 foot C-P you will find a post by 'skip' that talks about the proper set-up for the keel rollers [this carries all the weight] and the bunk boards [just barely touching the hull's curves] for a fellow who asked, "Just a few questions". He just bought a 19 and had a few questions about trailering the boat back home from Florida.

A nylon scrub brush and a spray bottle of 'Frebreeze' carpet cleaner or 409 spray cleaner, powered Tide or any cleaner with out bleach.  Lay the sail out on the grass and scrub her down. Rinse with the hose and flip to otherside and do it again. Let dry.

The bulkhead is to create a 'rope locker' for the anchor line storage. Do you have a 'rope pipe' through the forward deck to fish the line down into the locker? Make a pattern from cardboard, cut out of ply. Mine just screws into some wood battens glued to the inside of the hull. I made a reel that I can wind my 150 foot of line up on for storage and easy play out for use.

Drop board. I made a new one, than using a 45 deg cut [cut so rain water runs away from the cut.] on the Skill saw I cut her in half for better storage below decks. This is kind of neat. I can leave the bottom board out, and use my velcro bug screen, while engaging the hasp on the top piece to the companion way hatch's latch. Like a 'Dutch door' and visa versa. Or clamp and glue the thing. I did that for a few seasons too.

Hint: On the two edges of the 45 deg cut...put a pile of clear 3-M adhesive silicone on each edge. Place wax paper between the two silicone beads and assemble the two peices normally, using the hasp to 'hold up' the top piece. Don't fool with it for a day. Come back, pull the wax paper and wha~la, a perfect fit that if necessary can be trimmed up with a razor blade, [assumming some 'squish' has taken place during the assembly process. I use this method to 'bed' my wings into the fuselage of my model aeroplanes. Works great.

As far as bobbing around...not for long with a leaky keel. The glass mold creating the keel void must be water tite. The factory fills this void with cement and pig iron
...BUT!! if it's like on my Com-Pac 19 XL not all of the keel cavity is filled. The stern 1/3 is hollow, placing the ballest weight 'up front'. How far up front , I have no idea. Someone else, I'm sure does.

I would think that the entire sole of the cabin [that is where your feet end up when below decks] needs to be ripped up. The better question is why is this keel so beat-up? Buy a 1" outlet Rule bildge pump. Good luck skip.

mhallas

so Ive got my boat on stands, and have had a chance to look at the keel...
there appears to have been an earlier f/g repair job on the keel, i can see the edges of the matting. the very bottom keel has been scraped clean of this stuff, and there seems to be a  smooth layer of f/g revealed.  in the very front bottom there is hole ground through to the concrete (where the water was dripping) about the size of a silver dollar (remember those?).  I plan on cleaning up the hole and filling it in with Marine-Tex. I guess I should F/G the keel bottom again.  I dont know what happened to it, the front support for the trailer is rotting, and the roller and one guide board are flopping around. Maybe someone overzealously drove/cranked the boat on. Or it was a shitty f/g job and the roller ate it.
any suggestions?

matt

Craig Weis

Skip here, I do not really know what Marine Tex is.

For me I'd 'Bondo' the holes, after the keel is absolutely bone dry. Use the shop vac on the silver dollar and see if any more water can be liberated from this opening to the cement. Wait for dryness.

I would not re-fiberglass the keel, what are you going to gain? Not more strength, and the keel is only going to become fatter. Just sandpaper away any paint, crud, loose fibers untill smooth and clean. Mix up some bondo forcing it into the openings like the silver dollar and let dry.

Ruff up the repaired area abit while still a little soft. Finish sanding when dry and hard. Prime it. Paint it. Anti-foul it. If you can see the patch work through the paint, re-sand and put another layer of Bondo on. Layer on top-O-layer works best. Re-paint. Re check. Wax, Wax, Wax.

As far as the hull and trailer are concerned, be careful and go slow. No need to horse the damn boat onto the trailer. I float my boat on, not letting her touch the trailer. I crank the bow to the bow roller, center her up between my two marks on the back of the trailer [day-glow orange fiberglass poles used to mark driveway edges] and slowly, while letting her find her mark, pull the trailer from the water. I check the stern to see if she is centered up. If not she goes back in for another try.

Craig&Lisa

Hi Matt,

I am the proud owner of A '79 CP 16.  I've had her for just a few weeks, and just had her out on the lake twice.  It's my first boat, and I'm smitten!  So easy to launch and retrieve, and already proving a great teacher to the relative novice sailor that I am.  Two gems for you to get a hold of....
The Owners Manual - a simple but useful manual comes in its own folder
and
Robert Burgess' book "The Handbook of Trailer Sailing".  This book focuses on the CP 16 and 19 throughout, and its invaluable.
Both of these are available from Hutchins Marine, makers of the CP 16 and her larger sisters.  Order on the website www.com-pacyacht.com.  See the menu down the left and click on "Ordering Apparel and Books".
Have fun on the water...... I am!!
Craig