a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hull Painting

Started by frjeff, April 08, 2005, 05:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frjeff

If I purchase the 78 CP 16 I am looking at, it will definitely need a paint job. I have read many posts cautioning against it, but trust me, this one will need the whole shebang.
So, where do I find the "how to"? I'm not afraid of the prep and painting but wish to do-it-myself to save $$. What is the roll and tip method I hear about and where can I find the full description? My web searches have found me nothing.
Wish I know how to put a price on this unit - it needs a Main, repairing the bow pulpit, interior work, cushions, wood repair/replace as well as the hull work. Trailer seems fine, rigging is good (scratched up), no electrical in boat.
Any help out there? My gratitude in advance.

Fair winds,

Craig Weis

I'd say that a lot of effort is required for a really good job.

1~You may not be able to find this but...Church and Dwight Chemical Company manufactors a 'Bakeing Soda Blast Media' where the individual crystals of soda are shaped with facetts that cut...I used this method when I depainted and rebuilt batch ovens for a Corporation in the business of strippng and re-glazing bread pans that are leased out to bakerys, to the tune of $75 million a year worth of leases.

2~One diesel air compressor is required for a day [250 scfm]. Sta'd. hose.
3~Two pallets of blast media soda. Figure one sq ft per minute to blast.
4~One Schmit pressurized blast media pot [out of Texas].
5~Spent blast media desolves in water. Hose her to sewer.
6~A ph of 11 however will brown/kill plant life. Rinse area well.

It works like this. At a Binks Distributor demo in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, I, in a business suit removed from the fiberglass top of a 1957 Thunderbird the following...

A~The clear coat over black paint. Than stopped.
B~The two coats of black enamal. Than stopped.
C~The grey primer. Than stopped. Exposing the gel coate.
D~Did not harm the rubber surround, nor profile the glass of the top's port hole windows.
E~Did a fine job of polishing up the pitted chrome suround of the windows.
F~Depainted a Fridgiare. And a Ford P-Up tail gate. stuff works pretty well.

After depainting, let dry, tack wipe the hull/topside? and roll on an epoxy bottom anti fouling paint. May as well blast the whole hull.

I tie one side of the boat to the trailer, than lower the bunks of the other side exposing the whole hull for cleaning. Than visa-versa.
Of course any divets in the hull glass can be 'Bondoed".

skip...

Craig

Jeff,

The paint manufacturer ought to be a good source of "how to." If you are going to use Interlux or Awlgrip, give them a call and ask what they recommend for the home application. In fact, Awlgrip has some stuff posted on their website:
http://www.awlgrip.com/
as does interlux:
http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

Is this the boat that is currently listed on eBay?

Craig

Craig

Jeff,

Not sure what to say about price, but I would not go over $750. Needs new main (jib, too?), needs outboard, hull and deck repairs, etc, which have to be taken into account. Shoreline trailer was replaced in 79 or 80 with Magic Tilt.  Your call as to which one you think is better. My suspicion is you could get a sail away for close to the money you'll have in this boat by the time you get it seaworthy.

My 2 cents... and my opinion is worth what you just paid for it!

Craig

frjeff

Craig,

Yes; that's the boat. The number you mentioned is just about exactly what I figure as the very top end. I'm one who loves "puttering" on old boats, but not an expert and also not sure if this is more "puttering" than I want to tackle.
There's an 82 here in town at a dealer which is pretty fair shape and has decent sails, anchor, rode, etc., etc. No motor. They're asking $3450 for it which I thought was a tad on the high end. Thoughts? Part of my $$ constraint is Mama (who doesn't believe we have time to get full utility out of a boat). I say, we make time. She loves sailing (sold a 40 Endeavor), so I figured a dime here and a dime there might be a smarter way to ease into this. You'd think after 40+ years married I'd have the "how to" all figured out.
Thanks for  the input.

Craig

Jeff,

I know you're in Austin, so this may be for comparison only, but there is a CP 16 for sail near Hanover, PA for $2700 and I think this is the same one that the owner posted a note about on the yahoo site. He said the motor was running rough and he would take that into consideration. I think this is the boat:
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/1911

Craig