News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mid boom sheeting, Bimini clearance et al.

Started by brackish, January 13, 2011, 10:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

The exchange of ideas and opinions about mid boom sheeting on the Sun Cat section got me thinking.  I've always considered changing my 23 to mid boom sheeting.  I had that sheeting arrangement on my last boat and prefer it for a number of reasons.  The concern about it being in the way of the companionway hatch was never an issue, just slid the traveler over when docked or anchored, worked around it when sailing.

A larger concern is clearance for the bimini.  With the traveler on the bridge deck would there be room to move the bimini back and not have the backstay limit the distance?  In other words would there be enough room for the bimini between the mainsheet and the backstay?

Given the nature of the area we sail in if the Admiral is to be with me, she WILL have shade, so some type of cover that can be used while sailing is a must.  I've even considered when it is time to replace my main, getting one that is cut about six inches shorter on the luff so that the boom will ride higher allowing more room below to come closer to standing in the bimini covered cockpit.  Hoping that maybe a full battened, loose footed main will make up for some of the performance loss from the loss of square foot area.

I could drive up, scrape the snow and ice off the boat (this is Mississippi, there's no call for that), install my bimini and take the measurements.  But wonder if anyone has gone down that road, changed to mid boom sheeting and still is using a bimini.

Another concern is giving up my nice custom cockpit cushions.  They would certainly limit the traveler track length if I use them and let them cover the track.  Would the length on the bridge deck between the cushions be adequate?

Just some boat thoughts on a very cold day.

Billy

Brackish,
I'm with you on this one, even though I have a 19. While I am constantly thinking about it, Here is how I feel about converting to a mid boom traveler.

I do use a Bimini and when at the helm I am not in the shade due to the mainsheet angle. A mid boom sheet would allow me to shift the bimini on it's track back about 2 feet putting the helmsman inthe shade and allowing for easier access to the foredeck. This would also keep the main sheet out of the cockpit more and allow me to sit all the way aft. However, maybe a longer boom would do the same.

I REALLY like being able to shift the bimini all the way forward and being able to shade the companionway so the cabin is in the shade when I am below. and in the winter months I lay the bimini down forward of the hatch and it is completely out of the way. A midboom traveler would not allow me this option.

As for access to the cabin, yes I know I can slide the track to one side on the traveler, however, we have the westmarine go anywhere seats (which we LOVE!) and very often we sit backwards w/ our backs against the cockpit bulkheads. Having the main sheet behind the seats would not be a good. Especially w/ the admiral (the princess & the pea). Also, I have a little tray that clips onto the companionway step and it is where we set our plates & glasses when eating. The traveler would eliminate this and we would have to find a new place to set our food.
Performance w/ a mid boom sheet would increase, BUT I do have a boom vang. so not that much. I do like the idea of being able to sit all the way aft too, (But I may be looking to get a longer boom instead).

But here is what I have concluded while typing this, there are pros and cons but the ultime pro is, the endboom sheet is already there, so this option is FREE. I don't like drilling holes in my boat that a traveler would require. and what about the old blocks on the stern? I would have to seal those and hope that you don't see the patch or sealant. As to a comment from the suncat thread, I just stuff the unused sheet under my gas tank locker and it is out of the way, unlike the jib sheets.  My Halyards are also led aft so that would be 5 sheets total all right at the companionway. that is too much clutter. I'm convinced endboom mainsheet, w/ a boomvang is the way to go. But I wll be in the market for a longer boom.

I'll see if I can post a pic of my wwine & cheese tray tonight.

Billy
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

brackish

Some good thoughts well taken Billy, going to continue to ponder.  It would be a moot point if a bimini wouldn't fit, bimini wins if it keeps the Admiral happy.

would like to see the tray.  I've decided that the fuel storage cover has to go, it is a two hand operation and it constantly binds if you don't lift it just right.  Going to replace it with an all teak hinged cover that can be lifted with one hand while opening the tank vent and squeezing the primer bulb with the other.  I'm thinking of putting brackets on the front (vertical) surface where I can attach a cantilevered tray at the right height for fine dining.:) Would have to lift the tiller to use it so only good at anchor or dockside, but something that would really be nice.  Maybe could make it to mount in either place.

Another reason to go mid boom is to declutter the area.  Got to deal with the motor and mount and it is also the boarding ladder area.   Also mount my Magma and cook back there, starboard side. Those sheets always seem to be in the way. Of course, they will be in the way for other things at mid boom.

Billy

yea 6 in one, half a dozen in the other... but yes.....Happy wives make happy lives!

There was a thread a while back about converting the gas tank cover into teak. mine is a bit cracked at the corners where it turns down. The previous owner took two pieces of conduit about 4" long and screwed them into the top of the cover, one on each side. Not sure what it is for and haven't taken it out because like I said.....I don't like holes in my boat. If anyone has converted their tank cover I would LOVE to see pictures.

FYI, I keep my primer bulb on the outside, back by the motor. That way I don't have to open the cover to prime it. but yes the sheets do get in the way of the boarding ladder and the grill. You keep you grill on the starboard side? same as the ladder?

I know it is kinda dangerous but I keep mine on the port side, not directly over the motor but close. We only cook when at anchor and usually do some swiming before while the grill heats up and after we eat, 45 minutes after of course!

I hope that a longer boom would change the angle of the sheets and keep them more inline with the stern pulpit santions though.

Shawn

On my prior Flying Scot the main sheet comes down to be cleated mid boom but the blocks are between the back of the boom and the rudder head. I personally didn't like the mid boom cleating because I sail with younger children and little fingers getting into that block always concerned me. The central location was a little easier to deal with single handing though as it was easier to reach from anywhere in the boat.

Due to tangling with an outboard some converted the Scots to totally mid-boom sheeting. On Scots at least doing this was always cautioned to not sheet in as tight as the mid boom position could bend or even break the boom. Might not be an issue on the Compac boom but worth considering. Also consider how mid-boom sheeting may or may not alter reefing...seems it might be easier to get the bunched sail tangled in the blocks.

Shawn

Billy

Shawn great points, w/ reefing and the load on the center of the boom instead of the end.

Brackish,
Here is a pic of my tray

it has two legs in the front (which are actually aft) and a bar that runs across the back (foreward and not visable in this pic) The bar (just a 3/4" X 3/4" piece of wood) has a grove cut of about 1/2" deep/ 1/4" wide that runs the length of the piece. That grove fits over the companion way (were the fiberglass was cut). I'm not sure if I'm makeing sense. Next time I go out I'll post more pics.

It was made by the previous owner and I would like to make a new one out of teak. It is VERY sturdy and can be stood on if need be. I can't say how much my wife and I use and enjoy it!!!!

Can't do this with a mid boom main sheet!!!!

This pic was taken on a three day camping trip on my 30th birthday. We sailed from the north end of Anclote Key down to Honeymoon Island and back. Had a wonderful time!!! And I can't believe my dog didn't eat the cheese!

Billy

Here are a few more pics of the underside that I took yesterday.

Bob23

You guys need to check out how PeterG arranged his old 19's mid-boom sheeting with a custom raised stainless steel bracket mounted above the companionway. He doesn't own the boat anymore but somewhere on this site is a photo of it. I sailed with them once and it worked great and it's advantage was no clutter in the cockpit at all!
Bob23

Shawn

Bob,

That does look like a much nice way to do it then in the cockpit as long as the boom is strong enough. If I ever went that way I'd have to raise it a little bit higher to clear the solar panel that is on my hatch.

Picture of it is here:

The other way I have seen this done is with a track across the span to setup as a traveler.

Shawn

Billy

That seems to solve both problems. If I was going to do that I would deffinitely use a traveler. And it seems that having the mainsheet that far forward would eliminate the need for a vang.

HideAway

Brackish - We keep our bimini slid back as far as possible to have easier access to the foredeck.  I m thinking you would likely have room for the traveler on the bridge deck only if the sheet goes straight up and I don t know if that puts the effort center boom.  The example of the 19 cabin top sheeting shows a fairly steep angle to make it closer to mid boom.  I think that is the best solution but would want it to be a real traveler. Given all the activity in that area I don t plan to make the change.  The loose footed main has made such an improvement I don t know if mid boom sheeting would make that much difference.  That and who ever is on the leeward side will have the sheets in their face on the bridge deck setup.

I cuss that gas tank cover too but as much as I like wood I do not need anymore of it outside to maintain.  I have a piece of 2' x5/8 thick plywood, painted, with cleats underneath to keep it centered.  It sets just in front of the gas tank to keep the extra tanks out of the sun.  A side benefit is you can sit on it and steer facing forward when motoring - that s a big deal on a long trip.  The other is that it makes a good table or we use one of the hatch covers.   I keep the grill over the swim ladder too - It s too risky in my mind to have it over the motor, besides the motor is raised at anchor so it doesn t drown in a wake.  I have not had an issue with the sheets.  Just slack them a little or tie off.

Billy -  Mighty fine cruising area from Caladesi, Three Rooker and Anclote Key.  Our favorite cruising grounds since the Pass A Grille anchorage bit the dust in 04. It just takes a long time to get there from Gulfport.   We sleep in the cockpit during the summer so sliding the bimini forward is more important to us.  I don t like sitting too far back.  Our self steering won t allow it and if I get too much weight on the stern it pulls the bow too high making tacks difficult. A lesson learned from our Sea Pearl days.   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/