a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Forestay

Started by Doc Carter, November 15, 2010, 01:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Carter

Please look at the following picture of my forestay (sorry, that sounds kinda dirty).  My previous boats were larger, but isn't it kinda crazy to have a piece of dacron line being used as standing rigging?  Is the foil supposed to be acting as the forestay, and the line is just for... er... 'backup?'

http://windsong.shutterfly.com/pictures/11#12

BobK

Doc,
Your forestay is located inside the foil your jib attaches to.  My guess for the line is it is the halyard for the jib.
BobK

peterg

I'll second BobK's reply-the forestay is inside the foil- the foil spins around the stationary forestay as the sail is let out or wound up. If you want a really hokey set-up, the CP27 has a French made Isofurl furling system in which the aluminum foil is the forestay- no internal cable. Scares me.
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

breeze

Doc, I have scaned a drawing of the forstay assembly
The jpg is to large for me to attach to this file
If you send me your email address i will send it to you
dkoch2@cfl.rr.com
David

Bob23

What's up, Doc:
   Looks like you have a CDI furler. I also have the same on my 1985 23. To echo PeterG, yes, the original forestay is inside the foil. Mine works pretty good. Maybe the dacron line you think is standing rigging is really the halyard for the jib to be raised in the foil slot.
  In other news, a recent article in Good Old Boat by Larry Pardy shows a broken forestay at the swag terminal due to the weight of the furler causing lateral stress on that connection. The lateral stress coming from the sideways forces on the headsail. Makes sense...I'm gonna check mine this year.
Bob23

Doc Carter

Whew!  Thanks for the fast response guys!  I had thought I'd seen a pin holding the jib at the top of the foil (which seemed weird).  I was wondering why the heck there was no jib halyard coming down the mast!

If that is a halyard, I'm well pleased.  Got the thing rigged in my drive-way right now.  Will see if I can drop the jib tonight! 

:-)

~S

Bob23

Doc:
   If you drop the jib, tie a line to the halyard or it may go up the foil and be...unreachable! Don't ask how I know this. Experience is the best teacher but learning from someone who has already made a mistake is a close second.
Bob23

Doc Carter

Thanks Bob!  I thought of that already.  I have a lovely ball of twine I was planning to use as a leader.  ;-)

~S

GlennB724

If you go to CDI's website, you can download a pdf of the manual for the furler.  It shows exactly how it's rigged and gives good directions.